West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Southern California January 2008 Santa Barbara Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 01:50 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Southern California January 2008 Santa Barbara Cruise

Food ideas:
If we are in Sta Barbara at lunchtime, we should eat at La Super Rica...can't believe no one else knows about this place... cheap & tasty http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/gui...=1154654642256

If we lunch in Solvang, we could try this (from chowhound.com): "Cafe Angelica in downtown Solvang is a fabulous place to eat. It's a small bistro style restaurant. You can dine indoors or on the covered patio. The staff is friendly and most important....the food is delicious. I've only eaten there once and throughly enjoyed the Spinach Salad Angelica, which came with crisp apples, red grapes, scallions, walnuts, and crumbled feta cheese. The chicken marsala was wonderful and the creme brulee was the best. I will go back next time I'm in the area."
Don't know about price but sounds a bit chi-chi

Other Chowhound comments for Solvang...
"Brothers at Mattei's Tavern and Cold Spring Tavern are a couple of my favorite restaurants in the area. Also great for breakfast is Paula's Pancake House in Solvang."
"Not a winery, but in solvang there is a neat little wine bar called Wandering Dog. It has a lot of different local wines as well as microbrewed beers, and sometimes sake!"
"Also, stop in Solvang at Casa Cassara for a wine and olive tasting, and grab sandwiches at Paninos (Panini's?). get a kringle at the Oleson's Bakery for dessert."

Old 12-22-2007, 03:29 AM
1st Gear

[sm=alcoholic.gif]everything sounds good to me[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 12-22-2007, 02:08 PM
SoCal Crew Member

a potluck bbq sounds like alot of fun and since we will be eating brkfst and dnr at resturants than a bbq lunch would great.we would need to make a list of waht people are bringing and what is needed.

s/n RANDY if you want to see *****'s wonka than you should head out to west hollywood and i bet for a few bucks willie will show you his wonka. [sm=lol.gif]

Old 12-22-2007, 03:49 PM
SoCal Crew Member

lots of great ideas guys... looking foward to this one! ...don't know if i'll have my baby back in time though... they are pulling the engine soon.. and i'm going to have them replace the clutch while it's out.... it's not easy finding a nice clutch for that car either.. if anyone has heard of a place where i can get a good clutch kit please let me know... i've called a few places and not a whole lot of luck.....[:@](i might just have to go through the dealer)

Old 12-22-2007, 05:23 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Ok, sorry i havent been on for a while, Thank You Jason for the compliment about the last trip. I was just kidding anyways. For food there are several options we could for sure BBQ at the park which i think we be pretty fun but kind of time consuming. There is a really nice park that should be relatively free at any moment and then there is another park which is right smack dab in the center of town and if i remember right there are BBQ pits there as well and that way we could swarm on the city center and get all kinds of attention[8D] And of course if we want to go the old fashion route there are plenty of local little restuarants, but when i say little i mean it.

Also, Cafe Angelica is SMAAAALLLLLL!!! lol

Im on my out the door to hearst castle for a special tour so i wont be on tonight but if you guys need anything call me, 805-264-7292. I KNOW ALL!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja

man.. u guys have serious cojones posing ur cell #s up.. lol

U bringing ur kiddies Chef??

Old 12-23-2007, 04:08 AM
Administrator

LOL.

Here is some little update on how the trip is gonna go down.

So we know that it has been changed to Sunday, January 13, 2008.

I supposed we can all meet up at Denny's or IHop (right across the street from each other; which one do you guys preffer for breakfast?) in the city of Rosemead off the 10 freeway. We could all meet up at 9:30ish there.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=3643+R...p&ct=title

After breakfast, which I assume would take about an hour or so, we would continue going on the 10 freeway heading to the 101.

We would then arrive at Solvang in Santa Barbara County (if all goes well, it would take about an hour and a half to get there minus the pit stops we might make).

Once we're there, we would probably meet up with the local (Oetty so far) whom I hope will guide us to a near-by park with grills so we can have our BBQ/lunch. We would then hang around to have some group activities with each other.

After lunch, we then continue with the tour of Solvang. This would probably consist of driving around the town (again, Oetty said he knows some good twisty roads ).
I don't know if you guys want to visit that chocolate factory and going on the tour.

I still need to look more into where we can have dinner.

Since we're doing the BBQ, like Jon mentioned, we need to know what we're bringing so I'm gonna start a sign up sheet. (Hopefully it will work).

SOLVANG BBQ/POTLUCK SIGN UP LIST

1.kriptonik - marinated chicken for the BBQ

2..clipse -

3.chef -

4.socaljoe -

5.krytik -

6.PandaXpress -

7.germantech -

8.superdug -

9.oettinger1919 -

10.i3uddha -

11.BIKoUT -

12.JETSPEED -

13.lectrolink -

Old 12-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Okay,

We've got some problems.

First off, I don't like your morning meeting place. Not a big fan of back tracking so far before a long drive. Maybe some place off the 101, past the 405 would be good for the rest of us coming from the South Bay, Santa Monica, etc.

Uhhhhhh.......I'm not eating at Denny's. Sorry, but I do have some limits. I'll try and find a better morning meeting place if you don't mind.

Next, I don't think that I'll be bringing the kids. We went on a 15 minute drive yesterday in the Audi and each kid was fighting over the "line" on the seat, and everyone staying in their own "area" of the car. Multiple fights and whining for fifteen minutes let me know that I would kill them on a long trip. For the sake of my kids lives, I will not be bringing them on the trip.

May I suggest that we don't make a dinner reservation in the Solvang area. Being a Sunday, most of us will want to get back in town early for work the next day. If we do dinner, then I suggest some place nearly back to the LA area.

Sorry for adding so much personal input. LOL

Cheers!

Old 12-23-2007, 11:12 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ya back tracking for anyone would be pretty bad. soo find a nice cornery bakery or something on the way towards there. and all the locals to each other can have a meeting place of their own (for ex. Jason & John = riverside, Me, Cheng and Randy, etc.) then we all can meet up at place headed towards solvang.

i ono [&:]

Old 12-23-2007, 11:31 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Hey thanks for the call last night Krip. I just wanted to let you know that i almost died while i was talking to you as i was distracted and decided to do a single lane pass on this slow car i was behind and wasnt ready for the pathetic pick up of the car(was my GF's corrola[:@]) the car in the on coming lane was a lot closer than i thought You may have heard her speak out "O SH*******ttt" while i was talking to you but maybe not. Anyways...

So it looking like a BBQ Then eh? I think i can manage some goodies like drinks

Hey Chef! after reading your little story there i glanced over at your avatar and started laughing as i picture it(the avatar) talking to your kids about the personal space in the A3

Quick Reply: Southern California January 2008 Santa Barbara Cruise