West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Southern California January 2008 Santa Barbara Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Southern California January 2008 Santa Barbara Cruise

Will 9:30 in the morning be a good time to meet up for breakfast?
Any input on this?

I think it's better if we take the 101 all the way up to Solvang since it has better view.

So we will be meeting at the breakfast place between the 405 and 101. We will then continue heading to Santa Barbara through the 101 for a pit stop to get some gas and such. After we're done cruising SB area, we will then continue going on the 101 until we hit Solvang area.

Oetty, since the 101 is along the ocean, do you know any stop point/parking spot for us to take a group picture with the ocean backdrop?

December 29 Update: Breakfast place has been chosen. Look below for address.

What: Let's start off 2008 with a group cruise to Solvang, California. This will be a GTG that will probaby take the whole day. In which case, we will be eating breakfast, lunch, and maybe dinner together with the group. Since Santa Barbara County has many beautiful scenaries, we should arrange to have a group photoshoot with the amazing backdrops that Southern California has to offer.

Where: The destination place is Solvang, located in Santa Barbara County. We will be heading there along the 101 freeway. There will be beautiful scenaries along the way.
Below is the Googlemap of Solvang, California:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=solvan...a=N&tab=il

When: The date is on Sunday, January 13, 2008. Sunday is now chosen so more members can make it out.The date has now been decided.I would like to apologize in advance when the date I will be deciding on does not fit your schedule.

[blockquote]The agenda I have made so far:[/blockquote]
[ul][*]We would first meet up in the morning with the group. The breakfast place has been decided. The place is called Jack's located in Westlake Village off the 405 and 101 freeway.
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...a=N&tab=wl
Address of the place:
966 S Westlake Blvd, Ste 2 - Westlake Village, CA 91361[*]After breakfast, we then continue on the 101 freeway heading toward Santa Barbara. We would make a pit stop at this point to fill up gas and meet up with the local group.[*]Stop at Solvang area. Since it is our destination point, we could have a drive around the area. There are many little cafe's, restaurants, wineries, bakeries, and many other sights to see. At this point, we could have a drive somewhere to find anice location for a group photoshoot (sun should still be up by this point).[*]Wewill then head out to a park(ThankstoOettinger for checking out the park) to have a group BBQ and some activities after that.This will be a potluck BBQ so anything you can bring will be very appreciated. There is also a sign up list for this already with what others are bringing.[*]The group activities would probably end the trip at Santa Barbara County. We could split up right away or we could also drive back home and get some dinner with the group along the way. I am sure there are couple of diners on the side of the freeway.

It is not final but that's how I personally plan the big picture of how the trip would look like.

You're welcomed to put inputs for this trip.

This trip will be open to all the members and everyone else who would like to join.
I will be looking more into places to dine or any other interesting places around the area.

Alright, so who would like to join in the fun?

Note: Please keep checking this thread as it is still on the planning phase.

Updated list as of 12/27/07:

1.kriptonik
2..clipse
3.chef
4.socaljoe
5.krytik
6.PandaXpress
7.germantech
8.superdug
9.oettinger1919
10.i3uddha
11.BIKoUT
12.JETSPEED
13.lectrolink
14.Crystal/Wilcox[/ul]

NOTE:
If any of you guys have a 2 way radio, please bring them so we can communicate with each other along the way and make the trip more fun.

i3uddha, PandaXpress, and I will be picking up ours soon.

These 2 way radios are actually pretty affordable.
I have checked both WalMart and Target for these. WalMart carries Uniden ones for $18; it ranges up to 10 miles.
Target carries the Motorola ones for also $18 and has 4 miles range.
Of course there are a lot more other choices for higher prices but those 2 are the most affordable ones I could find.

Keep in mind that we can keep using these radios as we go on other group trips later on in the year.

SOLVANG BBQ/POTLUCK SIGN UP LIST :
Please sign up for something as we're planning to have a potluck BBQ with the whole group.

1.kriptonik - marinated chicken for the BBQ

2..clipse -

3.chef - the famous cheesecake

4.socaljoe -

5.krytik - sausages, chips

6.PandaXpress - beer, soda

7.germantech - Egyptian pasta dish, 3 burner stoves, tea, hot cocoa

8.superdug -

9.oettinger1919 - hotdogs and buns

10.i3uddha - charcoal, paper plates, napkins, and skills

11.BIKoUT - sweets

12.JETSPEED -

13.lectrolink -

14.Crystal/Wilcox - carne asada and tortillas

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Administrator

u kno wats so funny, i really have no idea wat we are doing, where we going, how we gonna get there, all i know is that i am going
(too lazy to read the whole thread)

Old 12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
SoCal Crew Member

One thing is that the ocean is on the south bound side of the 101 so everyone will have to flip a bitch, but there are some good shots to take!! Also, like someone else said earlyer hwy 154 is a great drive nice and curvy going up in the grade, so both ways have pros and cons, but what ever will be GREAT!! As to fueling up in santa barbara, it would be better to fill up when you get close to the g2g there is a shell station that i go 2 thats way cheaper than SB.
BTW see you guys in SB
BLACKOUT

[quote]ORIGINAL: kriptonik

Oetty, since the 101 is along the ocean, do you know any stop point/parking spot for us to take a group picture with the ocean backdrop?

Old 12-30-2007, 12:07 AM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

u kno wats so funny, i really have no idea wat we are doing, where we going, how we gonna get there, all i know is that i am going
(too lazy to read the whole thread)
haha! me too

...they all seem to have things under control... i trust randy, he has never let me down

keep up the good work guys![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 AM
SoCal Crew Member

SOLVANG BBQ/POTLUCK SIGN UP LIST :
Please sign up for something as we're planning to have a potluck BBQ with the whole group.

1.kriptonik - marinated chicken for the BBQ

2..clipse -

3.chef - the famous cheesecake

4.socaljoe -

5.krytik - sausages, chips

6.PandaXpress - beer, soda

7.germantech - Egyptian pasta dish, 3 burner stoves, tea, hot cocoa

8.superdug -

9.oettinger1919 - hotdogs and buns

10.i3uddha - charcoal, paper plates, napkins, and skills

11.BIKoUT - sweets

12.JETSPEED - macaroni salad (from L&L hawaiian BBQ...mmmmm! so good!) and some beer!

13.lectrolink -

14.Crystal/Wilcox - carne asada and tortillas

Old 12-30-2007, 12:31 AM

Okay, I'm WAY passed Solvang now, and hangin in Monterey. I did find a small bit that reminded me of Jason in Morro Bay. I didn't buy it, but took its picture.

Cheers!

Name:  Buddha.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  55.2 KB

Old 12-30-2007, 01:14 AM
SoCal Crew Member

13uddha yes they are propane.

we need to get a map of the area of the resturant because people are coming from all over.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:27 AM
Administrator

how much beer should i bring

Old 12-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Administrator

I'll try not to let you guys down on this one. But again, I probably wouldn't be able to do anything without the help from all of you guys.

Chef, have fun up where ever you are and be safe.

Jon, I have updated the "plan" of the trip. The location and the map of the breakfast (meeting point) is there.

Cheng, I don't think we need that much booze since we'll have to drive back home. []

Old 12-30-2007, 01:17 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: Four Ring Circus

ORIGINAL: Chef

I can cheesecake if you like???

I'm still working on the breakfast meeting spot. Nothing looks that great and directly off the 101 yet, that I've found.
Try Jack's Restaurant and Deli in Westlake. I've never been here but a coworker who likes to drive out that way recommended it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jacks-restau...Csce1gw46D41yQ
Jack's is good and a highly recommended place but I gotta tell, you guys for a Sunday morning and a bunch of cars parking is going to be a little rough & there will probably be a wait. Its a pretty popular place in the area.

Quick Reply: Southern California January 2008 Santa Barbara Cruise