West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

need to install one piece valeos

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:20 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default need to install one piece valeos

Has anyone in So CA done this in their pre-facelift A4? I just picked these up and found out that they're not directly compatible with my 98 A4. I looked up a DIY on how to do the conversion and saw that I'm going to need to cut my fenders to fit these guys in, but the DIY on audidiy doesn't have pics to show how much needs to be cut away.

I need to buy the back caps, city lights and wiriing for these before I can get them installed, but once I have everything, I'd like to go through this with someone that's done it before. I'll buy beer and stuff to bbq if someone wants to give me a hand with this at some point in the next few weeks. Any takers?

Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 AM
SoCal Crew Member

My friends and I did this conversion on my 98. Unfortunately we didn't end up taking any detailed pics of the amount you need to cut off. It's relatively straight forward; I'd give it a 6 out of 10 on the difficulty scale only due to the rewiring needed for the headlight connector to work as it was a bit off from the guide we followed on audidiy.com

We upgraded to one-piece Valeo E-Codes as well. Here's the best pic I could find.

Name:  Headlights4.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  35.8 KB

Old 09-16-2008, 11:00 AM
SoCal Crew Member

I haven't done this since I don't have an A4 but I'm up for helpin out.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by rhynolite
My friends and I did this conversion on my 98. Unfortunately we didn't end up taking any detailed pics of the amount you need to cut off. It's relatively straight forward; I'd give it a 6 out of 10 on the difficulty scale only due to the rewiring needed for the headlight connector to work as it was a bit off from the guide we followed on audidiy.com

We upgraded to one-piece Valeo E-Codes as well.
I was looking at this last night and it seems like all I need to trim is some of the inset support material on the fender where the headlight is cutout. I don't think I described that well at all, but it's the section being cut in that picture. I don't have any tools I can cut my fenders with though. Do you still have that dremel and that cutting piece?

I'm not too worried about the wiring as my lights came with the round wiring harness that hooks right up the harness I have right now. I just need to figure out how to wire in the city lights. I can get the city light and wiring kit from ECS for 20 bucks. Shouldn't be too tough to get those in.

I just don't know how I'm going to control any of the lights. I'm losing a high beam and a fog light and gaining city lights, but I don't have face lift fogs (yet). Would my high beams trigger the city lights? Maybe the fog light button? I don't know what the hell I'm doing here... anyone else know how to control this stuff without having wired up face lift fogs yet?

Rhino, I appreciate the offer. I'm not sure how quickly I'm looking to get this going, but I'll get in touch with you about it when I do. It's always nice to have an extra hand. Thanks man.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

I have a dremmel and possibly a cutting wheel left. but I have no idea on the wiring.

Ryhnolite how do you like your A4 Avant?

Old 09-16-2008, 02:40 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Doug have you ever had to fit these one pieces into a pre-facelift B5? I think I can deal with the wiring. It's just a matter of how I'm going to control the city lights. I guess I can hook up the harnesses with a volt meter and start pushing buttons in my car to see what does what. I'll play around with it.

Anyone got a voltmeter? I think I'm just going to need to go out and buy some of this stuff...

Old 09-16-2008, 04:06 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by love the booB5
I was looking at this last night and it seems like all I need to trim is some of the inset support material on the fender where the headlight is cutout. I don't think I described that well at all, but it's the section being cut in that picture. I don't have any tools I can cut my fenders with though. Do you still have that dremel and that cutting piece?
Yeah that's what you need to cut out. I'd definitely lend you the dremel but I'm not at home right now and I won't be for a while (college).

Originally Posted by Superdug
Ryhnolite how do you like your A4 Avant?
She's treating me very well so far. Couple hiccups but most of them were fixed.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Originally Posted by rhynolite
Yeah that's what you need to cut out. I'd definitely lend you the dremel but I'm not at home right now and I won't be for a while (college).
I'll just go buy a dremel. I've been meaning to run out and grab one anyway. They're good to have around. Did you end up cutting out basically that entire recessed spot on your fender?

Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

Hey i was thinking about it you could just wire it to your foglight button. I never even understood what city lights are for anyway.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
SoCal Crew Member

So umm...what are city lights...a fancy name for day time lights or something...i've never heard it before this thread.

Quick Reply: need to install one piece valeos