West AK, CA, NV, OR, UT, HI, WA, ID

Audiforums Yosemite Camping Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:54 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil
Default RE: Audiforums Yosemite Camping Trip

I also highly recomend making it a 2 day hike also I am looking into it because if i remember right there is a camp ground at the base of half dome.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
SoCal Crew Member

"little yosemite"(campground) it's just about half way up....

Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
SoCal Crew Member

there are some nice campsites right outside yosemite national park, either the south or west entrrances, all are about 25-35 miles from the valley........ i don't mind having that nice 45 mile road trip through yosemite just to get to the hiking/sight seeing areas. Lake Mono on the East end seems pretty nice, but you have to drive AROUND the park just to get to the valley.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:35 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Audi + Drive = [sm=smiley27.gif]

Old 06-18-2007, 09:43 PM

I gaurantee that last half of the drive when you come down from the mountain will feel like a WHOLE lot of work. LOL BTW, I may have some good pain killers for whimps like me.

Where's the vicodin???

Cheers!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 PM
SoCal Crew Member

"Climber falls to his death on Half Dome"
(it was in the paper this morning i have the article right here in front of me....)

"A37 year old man fell to his death while attempting to ascend the steep shoulder of half dome, the signature granite monolith at the east of yosemetie vally.
Hirofumi Nohara of japan and four friends were ascendeing the popular route on saturday aided be the steel cables used by hundreds(actually thousands) of tourists each summer, when he slipped and fell about 300 feet.
Nohara, who was in the United States on a work visa, was pronounced dead at the scene, park officials said. An investigation of the accedent in underway."

..... so i'm still down, just think it's a good idea to be prepared to stay a night if we get extremely tired... we don't need any tradgic AF experiences.
..... or we could just find another hike.... after all the research i've done so far i am definetly going to climb half dome soon but we don't have to do it this time... we are just trying to have a nice outting with the guys(and maybe girls)....still up to you guys....i am down for anything

Old 06-19-2007, 06:38 PM

Hmmm...not good.

I had a very good friend's dad die on Father's Day in somewhat similar circumstances with his son and another friend in Colorado. He just slipped off the cable and gravity quickly took hold. Not at all what we want on our GTG.[&o]

Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

well it certainly would make for a good story. j/k anyway i have said it about a thousand times now but I am still up for anything. you guys will ove the park except for the 25 mile per hour speed limit and the 15,000 tourists in our way. but we could hike all over the valley we could evn go up into the high country which is where some of the camp grounds are at.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
SoCal Crew Member

i think a good easy hike would be the best for all of us instead, no need for half dome........

unless somebody wants to chip in and hire a pilot with a chopper and fly us to the top......... hee hee.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 PM

Probably talk with you guys in a couple weeks. I'm headed out for vacation to Texas now.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: Audiforums Yosemite Camping Trip