Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

who would win?? '98 A4 2.8 quattro vs. '95 mustang gt 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: who would win?? '98 A4 2.8 quattro vs. '95 mustang gt 5.0

If you are a very good driver and he sucks, you could pull it off, otherwise I see the mustang winning.

Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 PM
1st Gear

Alright, thanks for the input everyone. I really do not do much racing and did not buy my car because its fast, so I did not have much of an idea how we would compare.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:18 PM

ORIGINAL: silveraudi98

I really don't think you stand much of a chance, stock 2.8s are slow. A5.0 has about 225 hp and upwards of 300ft/lbs torque.
compared to your 190 hp and 220 ft/lbs there really isn't an issue. And as far as weight go your audi is no feather. Yea he's a confertable sports car, but your an all wheel drive luxary car.
IMO mustang hands down.

+1 AGREED!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: blkapra4

the convertables is heavy so you caan beat him ... but is it worth it? you will have to launch your car (drop the clutch at 5k)
Do not drop your clutch at 5k, for the love of christ....Pointless... Rpms should be 3k 3.5kish as you let the clutch fully out, then nail it, shift, and continue that for the rest of the gears...

Old 02-28-2007, 06:54 AM
1st Gear

First of all, what the hell is with everyone making such a huge deal about the "driver?" The only part of driving that takes any skill at all is launching, and lets face it folks, we drive overweight, big, audis. They're AWD, and all you do is slip the clutch. That's skillful? Where's all this "skill?"

ORIGINAL: Amze

ORIGINAL: blkapra4

the convertables is heavy so you caan beat him ... but is it worth it? you will have to launch your car (drop the clutch at 5k)
Do not drop your clutch at 5k, for the love of christ....Pointless... Rpms should be 3k 3.5kish as you let the clutch fully out, then nail it, shift, and continue that for the rest of the gears...
Unless my reading is mistaken, the "perfect" AWD launch has a tenth of a second tire-slip at the startwhile WOT. Maybe I'm talking out of my *** here, since my car's 20 years old and has the locking diff's, but I know that if I lock them, that thing isnt spinning a damn thing at 3k rpm. Granted, if you're talking about what's "good" for the car, its "pointless." ...But the obvious argument against that is, "no ****... launching your car at any RPM isnt 'good' for it." So unless a 2.8L V6 has enough torque to "chirp" its tires at 3krpm, or what I've read (and experienced) is wrong, then its not "pointless," but rather "more harsh." ...No?

Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 AM
4th Gear

It kills the clutch, you will burn it.. and your jump won't be much better than a 3.5k jump. Infact its gonna be worse cause your clutch will prolly slip like a bitch if its stock.

POINTLESS.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear

eerrrr .... its a race !!! anyone who has seen/driven in a drag knows there are many factors as to who would win .... as said before the launch! reaction time ! 5 perfect shifts!

WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS THE BULL5H1T STOPS!!!!

as for whats best for your car .. to coin another drag racers line

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT!!!!!!

you aint gonna BLOW HIS DOORS OF by playin it softly softly are you !!!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:13 PM
Tech Guru

First of all, what the hell is with everyone making such a huge deal about the "driver?" The only part of driving that takes any skill at all is launching, and lets face it folks, we drive overweight, big, audis. They're AWD, and all you do is slip the clutch. That's skillful? Where's all this "skill?"

the driver/skill is in the launch and r/t, also the shifts, you can have a car that is a 1/2 second faster but if the driver sucks that could make the other guy win

2 cars that are pretty equal, say the evo and wrx, driver can make one car win every time, 2 equal drivers, they finish tied

Old 02-28-2007, 07:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Amze

It kills the clutch, you will burn it.. and your jump won't be much better than a 3.5k jump. Infact its gonna be worse cause your clutch will prolly slip like a bitch if its stock.

POINTLESS.

I dont know, maybe you didn't read what I posted?I'll reitterate.It'snot good for thecar to launch the car, at *any*rpm.The point being made, is that its a drag-race, thus thelongevity of the car's clutch, its assumed, is not important. The best way to get an AWD car off the line is to slip the tires, immediately get traction, and stay WOT. What rpm that is, is sensitive to the car... hence my saying, "maybe the 2.8 has enough torque to do it at 3500 rpms, but I doubt it." (or sometihng to that effect)

You say pointless, I say you'rewrong. Hell you even admit there's a difference. "...and your jump won't be much better" <--that means there IS a difference. Getting the car off the line the fastest way is what is most important in numbers drag race. the POINT of launching correctly is to go faster. Get it? Good Lord.

As for the other dude saying that shifting is a legitimate part of drag racing... if you're unable to properly shift a car, you have no business being on a damned track. Any 'gain' made by shifting a car faster than someone else is truely negligable, and if you mis-shift, (given properly-working equiptment) in a drag race, you should hang up your keys and go buy a benz. (IMHO, of course.)

Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

RACE IT! Be like...this is a 2 part race...first is the flat straight drag, and the second part is the winding road through the alps with 3 inches of snow...we'll see who wins then...tell him it's whoever finishes the whole thing first..

Quick Reply: who would win?? '98 A4 2.8 quattro vs. '95 mustang gt 5.0