Street/Strip Raced a guy from a light? Had that ride of yours on the timed track? Tell your story here.

A4 vs SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: A4 vs SRT-4

how about this, lets go up north and race....beoch...I will kick your *ss in some snow.....lol....jk. srt-4s are cool cars, wish they all came with some sort of lsd stock. I know they do in 06, but earlier, they didn't.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:00 PM
1st Gear

Yes, SRT-4's are quick and tehe ACR handles well, but that's all it does. They are built poorly and are the fastest depreciating car in the US. That's exactly why I would never buy one(I thought about it, before I found out how fast they depreciate), the only way to make it out financially on one is to buy gap insurance and total it when you're ready for a new car. Otherwise you'll be $2-4k upside-down in 2 years(assuming you buy one brand new). If you can get one that's 2 years old with low miles you might not get hit so hard with the depreciation, but it's still going to be bad.

IMO I'd rather spend a little more and get a car that holds it's value. I believe the slowest(best) depreciating car is the Mini Cooper. It almost makes no sense to buy a used one because a 2-3 year old Cooper is only a few grand less than a new one! I've seen 2003 Cooper S's going for 18-20k, and they're only $22k new! The A4 holds it's value decently, as do most european cars. It's a better investment as far as cars go.

But you know what, cars are not always a "good investment". My '94 Z28 lost 75% of it's value over 3 years and I don't regret buying it at all. That car was a ton of fun and believe it was worth every penny. If you really enjoy the SRT-4 and don't mind that it won't be worth a whole lot after a few years then enjoy it! Cars are meant to be driven and to have fun. At this point I just couldn't afford to lose that much money on a car, so I went with the Audi.

Old 11-04-2005, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear

Are you sure? I thought that the bmw m3 was the slowest. 02s in good condition go for only like 4-5k less than new. But I could very well be wrong. I haven't looked at this stuff in a while. Oh, and turbofwd, I would like to meet up with you some time and see how well your neon handles against my a4.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TurboFWD

I was refering to 99a4audi's comment about how an ACR can't turn as well as his audi. I would put money on the ACR in autocross, roadcoarse, or drag race.
And actually the SRT-4 does quite well in the North American Rally series in whatever group they are in. Their times are better than a lot of the WRX's out there. And did any of you read the results of this years "One Lap of America" in car and driver? SRT-4 8th overall, and first in class (mid priced sedan - which was filled with STI's and EVOs).
I know Audi's are great cars, and I admire them. I know that there are plenty of them that will beat the snot out of me on the street. I'm just trying to get some of your blinders off that the SRT-4 is what it is, a quick car for the money.
srt-4 = bang for buck. i wish i have one when i go to the track. for what i would spend on k04 upgrade FOR MY S4, with labor, i would be able to upgrade an Srt-4 like crazy.... and murder most cars in a straight line. and as for the twisties... NEVER THE CAR, ALWAYS THE DRIVER!

Old 11-07-2005, 07:06 PM
2nd Gear

A friend of mine just got the awe stg III ko4 kit w/ intercoolers on his car. I believe he spent about 8k doing it. However, it is sick. With the hundred octane program he dynoed at 436 whp. With that much hp in an srt 4, you will just be spinning. And obviously you dont care about comfort, or style, or handling, so go with the srt4. Let us know how it turns out.

Old 11-09-2005, 11:25 PM
2nd Gear

yeah, but drive an SRT-4 then drive an S4. that car is quick. but it's cheap. generally you get what you pay for. the car is no audi. i dont like those things too much. neons shouldnt be fast haha.

i usually get better luck starting dropping into second for a 40 roll, but you really gotta get going quick so your arent sitting around at 5000rpm for too long.

Old 11-18-2005, 05:12 AM
1st Gear

Then original post seems about right. The cars are stupid cheap to mod, and can be pretty damn fast. Deff not a s4, and no where near as comfortable or quiet as my a4.

quattrosedan : Yes all '04's and '05's Come with lsd. There is no '06 Srt-4. And where are you located? id love to run a quick audi.. gimme some ideas for mine

And for whoever said the a4 will leave a srt in the twisties.. im sure it is possible BUT my srt vs. my a4, the srt feels much tighter and seems to handle much better. Feels about half the weight and sits about 3" lower.

But i love both cars, Both are great in their own aspects.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
2nd Gear

quattrosedan : Yes all '04's and '05's Come with lsd. There is no '06 Srt-4. And where are you located? id love to run a quick audi.. gimme some ideas for mine
... sure. I would love to run you. I live down in Netpune Beach, FL......or Jacksonville. I have a minor boost issue that wont be fixed until around christmas, but once it is done, I would love to see how my car does against a modded srt-4.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:38 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: quattrosedan

... sure. I would love to run you. I live down in Netpune Beach, FL......or Jacksonville. I have a minor boost issue that wont be fixed until around christmas, but once it is done, I would love to see how my car does against a modded srt-4.

we could meet in texas! lol jk well scratch that idea im in so cal. But if you really wanna run one im sure i could set somehting up.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: luvin_the_rings

race him in the canyons, ull smoke him with the awd

i gave up trying to drag my audi, its just way to heavy

but in the canyons its nice to use the momentum to carry you throuth the turns, and combined witht he early accelerating from the awd, psh... only a subaru could handle you
sorry to tell you but stock for stock a SRT will get an A4 in the canyons too....under most circumstances....even more so if it's an ACR version.