South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV

Charleston Area?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:25 AM
1st Gear
Default Charleston Area?

Anyone from Charleston SC Area? I recently moved to the area and I was also wondering if anyone did any SCCA racing? I think there is a race on Jan 7th in Florida. Anyone wanting to go?

Mark

Old 12-20-2005, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Charleston Area?

I live in Charleston, but..... no racing, sorry.

Let me know if you find anywhere good that will work on my car that actually knows what they are doing.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:04 PM
1st Gear

Almost bought a dark grey colored S4 from the Audi in Charleston, my gf lives down that way. But once I heard some of the horror stories of that place, I decided my next car wasnt going to be another audi, so we decided on an M5.

Old 12-20-2005, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear

They wouldn't be that bad if they:

A. Did not tell innocent customers that they are checking and adding oil wrong when infact they are doing it correctly.

B. Did not try to convince a certain customer to lease the bright yellow avant/a4 everytime they walk through the door when the said customer has repeatedly told them they will NEVER lease a car and they don't like yellow cars.

C. Actually had any part for just one random Audi on site. It's not fun to pay them twice to rip your car apart bc you are waiting on a 9 dollar part to arrive from Columbia.

D. Knew how to reset the "service" oil light after getting your oil changed.

E. Knew the difference between leather and leatherette.... so when you get something in your car replaced they actually match each other. Or. at least when they make the mistake of doing this they knew it was their fault and they needed to correct it... rather than lie to you and tell you the armrest is leatherette when you can scratch the sh*t out of it with your fingernail and know it is real leather.

F. Had sales associates that DID NOT hit on you.

G. Did not promise you a loaner car but when you got there the loaner car was in myrtle beach. This wouldn't be that bad except that the day this happened to me I had a final I had to be at.

H. Fixed what you asked them too. WHen you tell them you want your rotors replaced, and you wait the 9 days for them to do this, and you get there and they tell you they just recut them..... this is annoying.

I. Had sales associates that knew the different between the TT and the 2.0T. As in.... "hi, i'd like to take one of the new A4's out with the 2.0L engine" to have him come back with the keys to a TT and then insist I told him that I said I wanted to get a 2-door TT. Argh.

This is just a fraction of the insanity I've dealt with in the last 2 years.... and the main reason we went with the M5.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

Wow... Thanks a lot. I do know of a good place to get my Audi worked on. The place is called McDaniels Audi............ I am a tech there, that is how I know that it is a good place to take an Audi. Im not trying to be mean but here is my response to your post:

Whats wrong with cutting rotors? Have you ever seen a brand new rotor out of the box? I have seen many "Brand New" rotors that have tons of run-out that will cause a bad vibration. (Audi and non Audi rotors)

Every tech there has plenty of ecperience including me. Im sorry that people have had bad experiences with that place. I have heard some stories too.

We dont charge twice for tearing a car apart. We will charge a diagnostic fee (You will find that at any shop) The diag fee is also applied to the labor time...(Just so you know)

We do stock parts for any random car there, It might not be a bunch of parts but we do stock some.

I do know how to reset a service light.

Maybe the "leatherette" problem was just a misunderstanding. You need to realize that when ordering parts that all you see is just a bunch of numbers and a "wire frame" picture...

Every day that I go to work Im not always thinking of making tons of money or shoving cars out the door as fast as I can. Ill tell you that all i care about is to make someones car right.... The way the customer wants it to be. You need to understand that we are human and we all make mistakes(Few but some).

I can understand about the sales men. Ya they are kinda weird. Please dont trash talk that place. I am trying my best to help turn it around.

Thanks
Mark

Old 12-21-2005, 02:19 PM
1st Gear

All the sales guys there really disturbed me when I was there shopping for a sports sedan (S4 or M5) except one guy, I forget his name, he was a tall thin guy, who was younger, whom worked at the Acura place before hand, and he owns an A4, and I think he said a mini, with his wife of 3 years.

Anyways he almost sold me that S4 you guys had there in Oct. that night, cash, off the lot. But I was still so steamed about the other guy who worked there, I just could not give my business to that place. Sorry to have bashed your place, but eh, I and my GF had enough bad experiances with people from there that, it out does the good of the one good sales person, and yourself, a self respecting proud of your work and doing a good job-tech.

You also have to understand, that your stock also kinda was lacking as per cars themselves, I am used to going into my local Audi / Benz / Porsche dealer and seeing 50-100 cars from each dealership, not 20.

Maybe with your attitude and drive, Mark, one day the audi name can be better represented than it currently is in Charleston.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
1st Gear

I think the sales man that you are talking about is Mike. He is a really nice guy. About the dealer... I have only been at this dealer for about 2 months. I came here to help turn the place around. The service department has undergone a huge re-structuring. Just about everything had changed. We are starting to stock a lot more parts than we used to. It just takes time to get the "more common" parts in. I remember when I first got here I went to replace a bulb and we didnt have any in stock... I was really pissed about that one... Let me tell you, that was the end to that one. I didnt mean to come off as an *** but Im trying as hard as I possibly can to help make this a place that people want to go. If you have any more feedback about this place, let me know and I will bring it up with the owner...

Old 12-21-2005, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

our run ins with them was before you started there then.

Keep it up.

Now I got a question for you, I have a 98 2.8 Quatro A4Avant tip for my winter car. Now here is my question, WTF is up with the AWD system, I got it stuck the other day in the lawn packing up stuff in the snow, only to look out my driver side window and not seeing the driver front wheel even attempting to help out...

awd my ***.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

The 98s AWD system is the older type. It does not really have any traction control systems (doesnt apply brakes to spinning wheel) The only way to have "True" AWD would be to have a locked differential but that would make cornering difficult on dry pavement. The traction control system really does help with that problem.

Mark

Old 07-23-2006, 11:58 PM
1st Gear

Hi Mark. I just got my 2001.5 S4. This is my 2nd S4, I just love them. I will be coming into McDaniels this week as I need to transfer the CPO this one has on it. I will ask for you in case your available when I arrive......

Kevin

Quick Reply: Charleston Area?