South AR, LA, MS, KY, TN, AL, GA, FL, NC, SC, WV

Any good mountain passes? (MD, VA, NC...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear
Default Any good mountain passes? (MD, VA, NC...)

Hey everyone. I'm from Jacksonville FL, but I am currently staying in Maryland (near Frederick) for the next few days. Then I'll be making the 12 hour journey back to Jax straight down I-95. Of course, we have no mountains in Florida, so I'd like to hit up some fun, preferably scenic, mountain passes on my way back. I hear there are some good ones in Virginia. Anyone have any recomendations for me, hopefully not too far off 95? I will be going through MD, VA, NC, SC, and GA, although on the way here I didn't start seeing mountains until I hit NC.

Thanks!

BTW, I'm driving a 2007 A3, 2.0T, DSG.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Default RE: Any good mountain passes? (MD, VA, NC...)

You could take 81 South through the Shenandoah Valley. Take I-70 West towards Hagerstown and it will intersect with 81 South. Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway are along the way too. Very scenic. You could then cut across 64 East into Richmond and hook back up with 95 South there. If you don't want to go that far South on 81, then just cut across 66 East, and that too will get you back to 95.

Wherein Frederick are you? I work in Frederick, but live inMt. Airy.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:18 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the tips! I used to vacation in NC near the Blue Ridge Parkway when I was a kid, it would be great if I could get out there! I'll map it out and hopefully I can get over there.

I am staying in Thurmont, just a bit north of Frederick. My friend's family owns a coffee shop on the outskirts of Frederick called The Coffee Table, maybe you've seen it/been there. I came up for the Rage Against The Machine reunion show in NYC, and I've been ataying with my friend for a few days since then. I went rock climbing yesterday for the first time in my life, man that was a sweet experience. I'm basically just taking it easy for a few days and then heading back.

Thanks again!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:37 AM
L7
1st Gear

BAMF;
That I81 drive is beautiful - but, I would recommend that you stay on it all the way down to Chattanooga, TN then head towards Atlanta and Jacksonville via I75. The portion through those areas of southern Virginia and Tennessee are beautiful.
BTW- If you do not have any plans for this weekend - don't forget about the GTG in Hunt Valley/Cockeysville, MD.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 AM

^^ Agree. Chattanoogais beautiful.

If you're around this weekend for the GTG, let me know. Maybe we could hook up and head down together.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
2nd Gear

I was thinking about heading over to the GTG, but I wasn't sure if that was kosher (being that I'm way out of my own territory). I'm trying to find a ticket for the Virgin Festival this weekend, but I've nearly exhausted my budget for this trip. If I can't find an affordable ticket I'll definitely come by. I'll let you know for sure no later than tomorrow. Thanks!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 PM

Virginfest tickets are expensive.Not to mention, you're going to be standing in a field in 95+ degree weather with over-priced food & drinks, surrounded by abunch of stoned anddrunken a-holes. Did i forget to mention the Maryland humidity? Eff that noise -not worth it.

Definitely think about coming to the gtg.We'd love to have our Florida bretheren representin'.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:52 PM

GTG FTW, it will be a good time for all and we always want mroe audis

Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 AM
L7
1st Gear

BAMF;
Besides - do you really want to be parking your Audi around Pimlico with the crowd that is going to be there? Save yourself the heartacheand head on out to Hunt Valley.
BTW - Guys - just a heads up. That parking lot may end up being a little crowded because of some people using the LightRail for the festival.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:22 PM

I thought you were going to say it might be a bit crowded with the stellar turn-out we're going to have.

Quick Reply: Any good mountain passes? (MD, VA, NC...)