S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

When is the expected due date of sale for a single turbo kit for the v6 s4? I'm interested.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: When is the expected due date of sale for a single turbo kit for the v6 s4? I'm interested.

ORIGINAL: aoldhumbleman

Thats what I was thinking, after a certain point twin turbos on a 2.7 v6 would become very laggy because of the small displacement, so like instead ofusing one of thosegt28r twin kits on the market, I would assume something like a singlelargegt30r or a small gt35r would spool much faster on a 2.7 v6 thenthe 2.7 v6 trying to spool up two g28r's, with each turborunning off of 3 cylinders and 1.35 liters of displacment. Seems to me the gt28r's would be more laggy then using a singlelarge gt30r or a small gt35r, and besides I dont think the v6 s4 drivetrain could hold more than 600 hp anyway and still be reliable but maybe i'm wrong. Like the guys said above, when supra owners are trying make big hp they will use a huge single turbo as opposed to two pretty big gt series turbos, cause the single turbo will spool up much faster.
Here comes a rant worth reading…

This is irritating to see some very basic motor logic being missed by you and a few others in this thread. “YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL”. You have three basic power ranges,low/mid/high, and you can build a motor to perform at only ONE of those power ranges optimally.

These supra guys that are trying to make HUGE hp, don't give a $h1t about any performance between the RPM's of 750 to 4500... MOST of them run automatics, and havevery HIGH stall torque converters (4000 to 4500) and they launch at 4500 and rev to8000 or 9000 maybe more and all theirmotors are tuned for PEAK HP... because they don't care about lowend torque/power.

ALSO… the main/key difference between a SUPRA and S4 is the layout of the turbos. They are COMPLETELY different. A Supra has Sequential Twin-Turbo, which means there is a small turbo that does the work at low RPMs and then a big turbo that starts upand takes over for higher RPMs. As I hope most of you know, the S4 is Parallel Twin-Turbo, which means that basically one turbo for half the motor and another turbo for the other half. Soo… after reading what I just said, it should be easier for you to understand why it is EASY for a Supra to remove the first turbo altogether, and then make the second turbo bigger. For us S4 guys/gals… we are better off sticking with the proven current design and make the turbos bigger. If you can give the boys at VAST enough money I’m sure they can make one SICK ride.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Shawn

Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: When is the expected due date of sale for a single turbo kit for the v6 s4? I'm interested.

good info... I'm no expert.. that's why I'm sticking with KO4's with a custom tune . turbos coming tomorrow!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: shawncumberland

Thats what I was thinking, after a certain point twin turbos on a 2.7 v6 would become very laggy because of the small displacement, so like instead ofusing one of thosegt28r twin kits on the market, I would assume something like a singlelargegt30r or a small gt35r would spool much faster on a 2.7 v6 thenthe 2.7 v6 trying to spool up two g28r's, with each turborunning off of 3 cylinders and 1.35 liters of displacment. Seems to me the gt28r's would be more laggy then using a singlelarge gt30r or a small gt35r, and besides I dont think the v6 s4 drivetrain could hold more than 600 hp anyway and still be reliable but maybe i'm wrong. Like the guys said above, when supra owners are trying make big hp they will use a huge single turbo as opposed to two pretty big gt series turbos, cause the single turbo will spool up much faster.
Here comes a rant worth reading…

This is irritating to see some very basic motor logic being missed by you and a few others in this thread. “YOU CAN'T HAVE IT ALL”. You have three basic power ranges,low/mid/high, and you can build a motor to perform at only ONE of those power ranges optimally.

These supra guys that are trying to make HUGE hp, don't give a $h1t about any performance between the RPM's of 750 to 4500... MOST of them run automatics, and havevery HIGH stall torque converters (4000 to 4500) and they launch at 4500 and rev to8000 or 9000 maybe more and all theirmotors are tuned for PEAK HP... because they don't care about lowend torque/power.

ALSO… the main/key difference between a SUPRA and S4 is the layout of the turbos. They are COMPLETELY different. A Supra has Sequential Twin-Turbo, which means there is a small turbo that does the work at low RPMs and then a big turbo that starts upand takes over for higher RPMs. As I hope most of you know, the S4 is Parallel Twin-Turbo, which means that basically one turbo for half the motor and another turbo for the other half. Soo… after reading what I just said, it should be easier for you to understand why it is EASY for a Supra to remove the first turbo altogether, and then make the second turbo bigger. For us S4 guys/gals… we are better off sticking with the proven current design and make the turbos bigger. If you can give the boys at VAST enough money I’m sure they can make one SICK ride.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Shawn
First my motor logic is notmessed up. I have a set goal at this time of 500whp and 500wtq, two large turbo's will spool slower than one large one. Especially on the v6 s4,and be laggier thana single turbo working on its ownfor my power goal. And their are plenty of turbos out theirthat can reach my goal of 500 whpand 500 wtqin single formation,with no drop off and faster spool up than 2 large turbos working off of a s42.7 motor. A awedual ko4kit is complete waste of time and money, their turbos can not produce 500 whp and500wtq on pump gas, and if used with meth the turbos will have a substantial drop in power, even before they reach the STOCK fuel cut.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Gear

First my motor logic is notmessed up. I have a set goal at this time of 500whp and 500wtq, two large turbo's will spool slower than one large one. Especially on the v6 s4,and be laggier thana single turbo working on its ownfor my power goal. And their are plenty of turbos out theirthat can reach my goal of 500 whpand 500 wtqin single formation,with no drop off and faster spool up than 2 large turbos working off of a s42.7 motor. A awedual ko4kit is complete waste of time and money, their turbos can not produce 500 whp and500wtq on pump gas, and if used with meth the turbos will have a substantial drop in power, even before they reach the STOCK fuel cut.
logical science,my history of working on cars, and personally seen results, is going completely against what your saying in regards to a larger turbo spooling faster... but I'm not here to be an jerk, just to offer my opinion.

If you figure out a solution that can make 500HP/TQ and it's proven with high 10's or low 11's in 1/4 mile times, then sweet, then you can bundle it, and sell it to people.

Shawn

Old 02-27-2008, 11:45 PM
1st Gear

Let me put it this way since you want to be a troll about it. A single gt35r on ab5 s4 will out spool two gt28rs.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:46 AM
Tech Guru

dude.... when someone tells you it won't work it is not cause they want to put the kibash on your theory

Old 02-28-2008, 06:29 AM
1st Gear

I never like stepping in on commentsabout theory turbo kits. But on this one shawncumberland is correct. not just to the lay out of the motor will you be better off but also because there was a company that thought the single turbo was the way to go.....KTR they used the single 35 and it didn't make 20lbs of boost until 5k. Twin GT28's make 20lbs of boost at 4300.
Boost is not the end all be all part of the conversation but it seemed to be the benchmark we were working with.

one small turbo will spool faster than 2 large ones. But 2 small turbos will spool faster than 1 large one. the question is are2 28'ssmaller than the 35 as far as spool?

IMHO you should never try to make a V motor a single turbo. In line cars make for better single turbo canidiats. V motors are better for twin set up

Lastly I would agree I don't think AWE is going to be your best bet for off the shelf tuning. But there are several people doing REAL tuning for the ko4

Watch this and tell me ko4's are still a joke

http://www.streetfire.net/video/6eb4...1a01480943.htm

not only that but JHM/VAST have the most 11 sec S4's out on the street today
I still don't think ko4's are enough for me tho. I will stick with the V8

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM
2nd Gear

^^ just curious.. what are you numbers with the V8? whp and do you do 1/4's? I love the v8's exhaust! on another board , a shop in western MA is looking to do a biturbo setup on a B6. Would that be something you would do if it were a kit and affordable?

Im getting my car custom tuned by a guy that runs 10's in his K04 car. It will be a DD too btw custom tuned is the best way to go.. K04's coming today!!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Tech Guru

and part of the reason guys take the supras and 300's and such and change fron dual turbo's to single turbos is because one turbo is larger than the other, whereas the audi is a true "dual" or twin turbo car........ saying that, the supra has a larger turbo that starts early and then shuts off and the smaller turbo kicks in and works through the remainder of the rpm's whereas the audi's have two same sized turbos(stock k03)

the reason guys change from dual to single is to get a larger tubo working through the major hp/tq part of the power band

sorry if this has already been said.........

and secondly op, why are you spouting off at people that are trying to help? and you have no audi yet and from your threads, it doesn't look like you know what you want......

if i was you and it sounds like you want a single turbo, buy a b5 or b6 1.8t and put the biggest dang turbo on there you can find that will work with the car without fabing up something(nothing against fabing, if you can do it) but the money you will spend to have someone do it for you, you could have put into your car

Old 02-28-2008, 10:52 AM
2nd Gear

or get the older model s4, 1994? werent those an 5 cyl 20v? one big turbo on that, and proper set-up....if you are so set on a single turbo....then thats the way for you to go!

Quick Reply: When is the expected due date of sale for a single turbo kit for the v6 s4? I'm interested.