S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

what ECU is best for a b5 s4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:59 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: what ECU is best for a b5 s4?

I haven't heard good things about TAP... I would definately go with Giac or APR.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:18 PM

MTM is best, gobbs of torque MTM ftw...

Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: vnv727

+2 what 2kS4 said, their all flashed, and if you really worried buy a spare ecu off ebay or something and chip that and keep the original ecu stock
You sure that a crank relearn is not necessary for this too?

Dealers can still find software on the ECM, their equipment is designed to. The thing to remember though, is that a dealer must know exactly what they are looking for, then actively search for it. For instance, if the car is running oddly, they could check the ECM to see what it's doing with the fuel. If something does not look right, they could reflash it and set it back to factory. I have heard of some places locking the ECM to prevent dealers from doing this, but that will make things even more obvious, IMO.

I like the idea of having tuning hardware. Many companies will sell you their tunes so you can download them and install them yourself, then you can still go back to factory settings if you need.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear

what does "flashed" mean? is the apr chip flashed? also, how easy is it to exchange the ecu's? thanks.
did you guys chip your cars until warranty? btw, any thoughts on an extended warranty for 05 S4?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: bobmd
what does "flashed" mean? is the apr chip flashed? also, how easy is it to exchange the ecu's? thanks.
did you guys chip your cars until warranty? btw, any thoughts on an extended warranty for 05 S4?
The term "chipped" used to be when, you would buy & install a new chip in the ECU. They no longer do that, now, they all "flash" the ECU, it's like when you update the BIOS in your computer. Most of us do not have a warranty any longer, so it's really up to you.