S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

weekend project... Got bored...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default weekend project... Got bored...

So, after overcoming theinitial fear of screwing up my housings beyond repair, I bit the bullet and did this... It took about 6 hours to do each one... Im pretty happy with the outcome. They look ALOT better outside, but its dark out right now.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: weekend project... Got bored...

Looks nice. So lucky you don't need a front number plate!

Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

I believe you do in Wisconsin

Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM
1st Gear

^^ minor detail^^ Ive yet to be hassled *knocks on wood*

Old 08-21-2007, 04:17 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

Atrip i did mine quite some time ago, and i was wondering if you taped them or not. cause i started taping them and peeled the chrome off. Also i was wondering how you got around the HID without any problems.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear

I too had the chrome peeling problem on the outer piece of plastic. Iused low tack automotive masking tape, andVERY gently stuck the tape down, and gently took it off to minimize the damage. I unscrewed the second piece of plastic from the black housing, and took the projector and such right out of it to minimize the masking necessary.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:15 PM

Oh I see. If you have seen pics of mine that is the reason the whole blinker assembly is chrome i really like the look it has on your car. I guess it's time to crack them open again and finish the job. Also what kind of silicon did you use. because after mine dried and set in place it shrunk and created holes. Something to watch for when washing the ride.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:27 PM
1st Gear

I used black RTV. I cut away the top piece of the "U" groove in the black plastic, I then pried the lense off the plastic slowly and carefully, so it didnt crack. I completely disassembled them, then painted them, then scraped the urethane off of the joint surfaces and reassembled. I then laid a nice fatty bead of black RTV on the channel on the back of the housing (now shaped like an "L" because I cut away the top part). I pressed the clear lense on, let it dry, then went back, shaved off the excess that sqirted out, and then laid another bead around the outside to be 100% sure it sealed.

Edit, the tools I used were lots of razor blades, flat blade screwdrivers of different sizes,an exacto knife, and this little thing:

its a plexiglass cutter. VERY handy for cutting into the urethane and breaking the seal, and you can use it to carve out the urethane. I happened to have it laying around and thought it would work good. they are VERY sharp, so be careful! You can get them at home depot or the like in the plexiglass section and they are 2-3 bucks.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:37 PM

nice i like your style. I got lazy and bought a dremmel. it took about 10 minutes to cut the housings apart. but it probably does not look nearly as clean as yours.
Nice mod by the way good work. I thought I was the only one who went for the black headlight look.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:40 PM
1st Gear

I paid dearly for it, lol, it took 6 hours to do each one, and my hands hurt bad from pushing that little blade through the plastic and urethane. It is VERY clean, I put the rubber strips back on the tops, so you cant even see the silicone unless you take them out and turn them over.

Quick Reply: weekend project... Got bored...