S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Warped Rotors cause vibration when not braking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 05:29 PM
1st Gear
Default Warped Rotors cause vibration when not braking?

Can warped rotors cause a vibration when not braking?

Also, what would cause the car to vibrate at any speed? The vibration varies with speed, slower speed the less vibration, higher speed the more vibration.

Last edited by drobrt; 05-31-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Thought of something else
Old 05-31-2009, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

i would think not.. possibly a joint in an axle or perhaps a tire out of balance or belt slipped on the tire...

Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 PM

I think a warped rotor would cause vibration while braking. Just think about what the rotor does when braking... spins through a caliper... if its warped, then the spinning is not uniform and would cause vibration. and as for the vibration at any speed, get your tires rebalanced and then see if the problem is still there.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
1st Gear

Swapped wheels with another set I had and still had the vibrating. So I'm gonna take it in to a shop and get it fixed. I'm tired of trying to get this fixed.

The rotors are definitely warped since whenever I stop it shakes. I understand that, its kind of a no brainer. I was just wondering if maybe the warped rotor would cause a vibration while not stopping. The calipers could possibly be hanging up on me causing a vibration. This got a lot worst after slamming on the brakes a couple weeks ago for a deer. Which in the end hit me anyways.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM
4th Gear

Yes.. rotors can cause vibration will not braking....

Old 05-31-2009, 11:45 PM

what about your tie rods? are they the stock ones?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

I'm not sure about the tie rods. But the vibration doesn't move the steering wheel very much at all. I mainly feel it in the seat. And I swear I feel it in the rear.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Yes.. rotors can cause vibration will not braking....
ive been working on cars for 14 years and ive never seen that.. maybe if you just put different or new ones on and there is some rust build up on your hub assembly that could cause your wheel to bolt up unevenly..

Old 06-01-2009, 07:34 PM
4th Gear

Okie dokie...

If they are warped beyond the 'norm', they with vibate.. Just happened on my truck. These things were so warped they rubbed with the cylinder completely compressed... Once you hit the brakes and reduced that space to close to nothing, well, it wasnt fun.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Hmmm, well I've gone over the car looking for something wrong with it and I can't find anything. None of the control arms seem loose. No play in driveshafts. CV Joints look fine. Wheel bearings were just changed a month ago. Swapped wheels to see if it was balance issue and I concluded it wasn't. My dads A4 had a bad tie rod and it mainly dealt with vibrations in the steering wheel when turning. Mine are vibrations in mainly the car, with the typical steering wheel vibrations. This only got worst after I slammed on my brakes before a deer hit me. I'm just going to take it in to a euro shop and see what they come up with. I'm stumped, and I hate being stumped and having to take my cars in. Argh.

Quick Reply: Warped Rotors cause vibration when not braking?