S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

VAG-COM question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:49 PM
1st Gear
Default VAG-COM question

What can be changed for the transmission with the VAG? I hear you can make the car hold 1st gear a little longer because mine will short shift 1st everytime even in tip mode. First thing in the morning when the car is cold it will stay in first a little longer than normal but once it warms up it short shifts 1st gear really bad. It's not too bad for daily driving but even with like 1/2 throttle if you are taking off quick it will shift around 2500 to 2nd gear so you don't get the benefit of acceleration from first gear.

Also can you program the tranny to not engage the torque convt. clutch? I understand it creates more heat and drinks more gas that way but with an external trans cooleryou can keep the heat down. I am just looking to keep the damn check engine light off for the TC clutch stuck P0741 code. I assume it's the seal going bad. The car shifts and drives fine. The TC is expensive to replace and I'd like to make it till spring if I can.

I was going to lower the car on H&R's and Bilsteins (not too interested in coil overs since I don't plan to constantly adjust the suspension or alignment), and put on some 19" wheels in the spring but I will get the TC replaced first.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: VAG-COM question

As far as i know you can't use the VAG COM directly to re-program the TCM, there may be software you can use with the VAG COM to do this but i doubt it. A tip chip is a much better idea there IMHO.
As for the TC throwing that fault code your not gonna be able to keep the check engine light off, replace it when you can, it sucks i know. [:'(]

Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 PM
1st Gear

Damn, not good news. The local dealership wants $905.xx for the convertor itself. They claimed 17 hours of labor.

I found an independent shop that says 10.5 hours of labor at a lower rate, he'll do the job, he builds porsches and audi's.

I guess the seal goes bad, but will it get worse or can I drive it around town for a few more months back and forth to work?

I found a source online for like $630 for the convt. or I can have the shop pull mine out, ship it to L10, and then when it comes back re-install it for like $900 labor and the $498 plus shipping from L10. It would be down longer but that would be cheaper and higher performance. That's probably the route I'll go.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

I'm pulling the motor and trans for a project i'm working on... talk about a MothaF... I have disconnected so much, i'm not evensure I'll ever get all the crap back together...! haha

well, I will someday, I hope...

Old 10-29-2007, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

Recode your transmission to 000032 it will put it into sport mode and allow use of first gear