S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Default upgrade questions

hello all, i've been searching for something to replace my maxima for a few months now. i test drove a number of cars, i was quite interested in an e36 m3 sedan for it's handling/performance, but found it a bit too small. then, i drove a '00 s4 and was sold. handling, performance and room was where i needed it to be. so, i've been on the lookout for a solid, used b5 s4. prior to buying one, i'll obviously have a ppi done. i intend to buy solid stock and upgrade.

i've tried to use the search feature on this site but got nowhere as most searches returned nothing. so, i browsed thru the first 4 pages of this sub forum. i learned a lot, but, not the answer to my questions. from what i read there are basically 3 stages of upgrades, something like stage 1 (chip), stage 2 (chip and non-turbo upgrades), stage 3 (all that other stuff and new turbos), correct? well, i've read lots on this forum about hp, 1/4 times, boost, yadda-yadda-yadda. that's great, IF that's what you're into. i'm more interested in speed. i want to go fast and maintain it, safely. what i failed to find in my searching was at what point did you feel it necessary to upgrade the stock suspension, clutch, flywheel, brakes, etc? from what i experienced (on my test drive) and researched, the b5 s4 stock suspension and brakes are excellent. but, at some point, they're not enough. when is that point? and, yes, i understand this is somewhat arbitrary.

to summarize, i'm looking to have a fun, daily driver that i can track every now and then. 1/4 mile times are not of interest to me. <--don't get me wrong, i'm impressed by them. it's just not *my* thing.

thanks in advance.
chris

Old 10-26-2007, 10:29 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: upgrade questions

I would get both done before you upgrade the turbo's. The stock brakes are good, just heavy, & not the best modulation. The stock suspension, just blows when you know how to drive, way to much weight transfer, & way to much brake & throttle bounce/drive.

But most of us upgrade the brakes & suspension early, it was the second & third thing I did. The brake drive drove me nuts.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear

sounds like you know what you want out of your car so I would say try to get adjustable dampening and a rear sway bar, and maybe a rotor and pad upgrade, throw in some SS lines.

Old 10-27-2007, 01:12 AM

thanks for the input. i wish i had the budget to get it all done at once. but, that's not the case for me. so, i've got be smart about the upgrade path i take. off to do some suspension and brake research.