S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tormented
Where can i find some logs from different turbo kits for things like the spool rpm and what not?

Also im curious about the awe kits? something i have noticed so far tho is that even with the AWE kits they dont come with manifolds..
As usual I agree with bigern45 on this.

Here is something you need to step back with and realize. about spool. Boost is a measurement of how inefficient a system is. So making boost sooner is just a measurement of a bigger restriction.

Your main concern should be. CFM and RPM. A ko4 car and a RS6 car Turbo wise on the same car will have a 500 RPM difference. A GT2860 turbo will have a 1200-1500 difference but will be faster in acceleration though the gear.

The headers (like the AWE's) don't do much to help from what Ive seen and read. There nice but not something to trip over when looking for power.

IMHO I went for a ride in a GT600 kit car last night. Best kit for the price and performance. Little more lag then my RS6's but its not a big enought lag to over shadow how fast the power comes on.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by twinturbomew
As usual I agree with bigern45 on this.

Here is something you need to step back with and realize. about spool. Boost is a measurement of how inefficient a system is. So making boost sooner is just a measurement of a bigger restriction.

Your main concern should be. CFM and RPM. A ko4 car and a RS6 car Turbo wise on the same car will have a 500 RPM difference. A GT2860 turbo will have a 1200-1500 difference but will be faster in acceleration though the gear.

The headers (like the AWE's) don't do much to help from what Ive seen and read. There nice but not something to trip over when looking for power.

IMHO I went for a ride in a GT600 kit car last night. Best kit for the price and performance. Little more lag then my RS6's but its not a big enought lag to over shadow how fast the power comes on.
did this car have rods?? ive never been in a GT car, or a bigger TiAL car for that matter, but id love to feel the insanity they speak of from 4800-7500 in those cars.... i know doms car would shread the tires in 2nd gear once boost hits.. of course his car was uber built and all...

Old 09-17-2010, 11:30 AM

i have also been looking at piecing together my own git and begining with the gt2871 's. but from the way everyone talks the vast kit really is the best way to go. i am just trying to weigh all of my options and i am still somewhat new to the audi community, so i dont know all of the recources to tap into for the info. thanks for the help

Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

to really enjoy the gt2871 kit, you will need at least upgraded valve springs for 8000+ rpms and rods for the massive amount of power produced...

Old 09-17-2010, 05:51 PM

well yes with the GT2871 i would be upgrading the valves as well as pistons and heads. but there isnt a kit for the GT2871 is there? all i have found is the 2 individual turbos for sale. and any suggestions for valves/rods/pistons? i have found some but am open to suggestions

Old 09-17-2010, 05:52 PM

i ment to say pistons and rods..

Old 09-17-2010, 11:04 PM
2nd Gear

no need to upgrade pistons. i dont think the limit of what they can handle has been discovered... stock pistons are forged mahle's..;-).. unless you are trying to change the stroke or bore...

Old 09-18-2010, 03:33 AM

if i dont need to replace the pistons then should i get the rs4 cam? and if anyone is willing to talk outside of this post pm me because i have allot of questions that i need someone with expierance to talk to about things. so if anyone can help just send me a pm. thanks

Old 09-18-2010, 03:11 PM
2nd Gear

Theres a lot of information out there about running big turbo setups. If you want to do it right, start at the bottom and upgrade the connecting rods so you can actually run some power. Run 2.8 heads and cams (for larger ports and higher lift) but do a valve overhaul to take advantage of the turbos up top. Incolnel exhaust valves, titanium retainers, uprated springs... you could go oversized valves if you want at this point. All this is so you can rev over 8000RPM. Put on the RS4 intake manifold and throttle body (same at VW w8 TB). You'll need to get either custom or RS4 charge pipes to fit the TB. If you are really that into it get an RS4 Y-pipe and airbox. You'll need bigger injectors to keep up with the custom tune and that means getting the RS4 fuel rail if you get RS4 injectors. A high flow fuel pump is probably the next step and with it a higher pressure fuel pressure regulator. You'll want to run methanol injection to help prevent predetonation. Finally, you'll want to be running 3" downpipes and at least 2.5" free flowing exhaust.

There, thats about the run down. Do some searching about all the things I mentioned to get a better idea.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 PM

thanks jhuff, thats the kind of info i was looking for, as for getting all of that done is there a specific shop that can get that underway for me? im going to look into all of those things but when it comes time to buy i would like to buy from as little stores as possible. just to avoid multiple shipping costs. if that makes sense.

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade