S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:12 PM

the vast kit does seem to be the logical kit to go with seing as nothing has to be torn up on the vehicle, its also allot cheaper with good numbers in the end. where are they located and is there a waiting list or anything to get your vehicle in there? and how long does it usualy take for them to install, dyno, tune?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear

VAST is in michigan, they are extremely helpful. you should give them a call. it is a very good deal on this setup, but to reach full potential with the car i would at least do rods, IMO. people have been running it without rods and they say its a beast, but man you could get prolly 100 more whp on some of the kits by building your block. here is VAST website....

http://www.vastperformance.com/

id bookmark it, that way itll be right there..
tuning takes as long as it does to get it done right. i think they remote tune as well, which is pretty fun. they dont dyno tune that i know of, i dont think they have a dyno. most of their tuning is done from logs taken on the road..

Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by bigern45
you take one dyno day and condemn TiAL's. do you sell for VAST?? VAST themselves in that thread say that they dont have any track data or even any logs or dyno sheets for those kits. so in truth they arent even proven. and i dont know about stock mani's not allowing over 450. im running a stock mani, and my car dyno-ed 458whp, and since then ive added more boost and timing, and my logs dont show excessive knock in the back 2 cylinders. ive never even read this info anywhere, and i have real data to prove it otherwise.

to the OP. the TiAL's will get you better spool time than the VAST kits, hands down. and the VAST kits are one of the best deals out there, and compared to the 605's, they have a lot more uncapped power so to speak, much more upside and potential. but to get there you need to build your heads and bottom end. which you should also do with the TiAL's, as they also make enough power to break stuff easily. i know of 4 or 5 guys with 605's and 770's, all with power starting from 500whp to 585whp on pump. many happy customers. and there are many people with VAST gt kits that are putting down great numbers and walking cars, hell VAST's work speaks for itself. keep an open mind when looking at either kit, decide what you want in either a DD or a weekend warrior and make a decision based on true facts backed up by logs and personnal experiences by various owners of different setups. i like this forum, but seriously you should get on audizine, much more people to discuss these with and many various setups/platforms to note.
Bigern where is the issue? calm down.. do you work for Tial.. do you sell for Tial? Then calm down.

Tials are Nice but there not great. Its cool if you think you can flow 500whp on your stock manfiolds and not have an issue. Try logging your car next time and tell me what Cyl 5 and 1 do. Any car S4 or other wise. is going to have issues with short runners and small manifold size. The issues are back flow pressure

For the money one kit seems to make more sense the GT kit..and come in with what the OP was asking for. If you can get a header kit over a Tial kit then the tial kit looks less and less impressive. Let alone the tial dynos are less then impressive if you don't run 30+lbs of boost. The tial cars need to run 30+lbs of boost to make what the GT kits make at less then 25lbs of boost. Tial kits don't do much better then RS6 turbos. maybe if you get the 770 kit but at that point its retarded not to just get a REAL GT turbo.

Ive raced 3 tial 660 kits with my Automatic car at waterfest and all of them lost bad. Ive never heard good feed back from Tial owners that are not posting on the net.. This is why I wouldn't suggest them to the OP.

I know one guy with Tials and he thinks there junk.. I know two other guys that got them and Tial tightened the waste gate too tight and he ended up running too much boost and hurting a rod trying to figgure it out. From everyone Ive talked to and read on the net. If you don't run 30lbs of boost on Tials there not really impressive.

and Tials don't spool faster the GT's try doing more searching. There the same.

Originally Posted by Tormented
the vast kit does seem to be the logical kit to go with seing as nothing has to be torn up on the vehicle, its also allot cheaper with good numbers in the end. where are they located and is there a waiting list or anything to get your vehicle in there? and how long does it usualy take for them to install, dyno, tune?
I don't know the vast guys personally but they have always been very nice and have lots of S4's there. that always makes me feel better.

It always looks like this when I go there.

So I would expect a wait but there usually quick to get your car in and if your able to pay your bill and don't need for them to take there time I think there quick. They did my RS6's in 3 days. I know they did a GT kit on my buddys car in less then 1 week.

Vast doesn't have a dyno but they use one if customers ask for it. The tunes they make are for the road so they tune for it. I like that approach better then just throwing it on a dyno and calling it a day. Also at this point these cars shouldn't me a mystery any more to companys like vast. They have hundreds and hundreds of tunes out there for the 2.7 so I would think they have most of it worked out.

Last edited by twinturbomew; 09-12-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 AM

Thanks to everyone for the info i appreciate it. I am going to try to do some buisness with the VAST guys because from what it sounds like they know what they are doing and the 2.7 is nothing new to them. and they also say they have forged rods and pistons which while the motor is out would prolly be the best time to do it.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:21 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by twinturbomew
Bigern where is the issue? calm down.. do you work for Tial.. do you sell for Tial? Then calm down.

Tials are Nice but there not great. Its cool if you think you can flow 500whp on your stock manfiolds and not have an issue. Try logging your car next time and tell me what Cyl 5 and 1 do. Any car S4 or other wise. is going to have issues with short runners and small manifold size. The issues are back flow pressure

For the money one kit seems to make more sense the GT kit..and come in with what the OP was asking for. If you can get a header kit over a Tial kit then the tial kit looks less and less impressive. Let alone the tial dynos are less then impressive if you don't run 30+lbs of boost. The tial cars need to run 30+lbs of boost to make what the GT kits make at less then 25lbs of boost. Tial kits don't do much better then RS6 turbos. maybe if you get the 770 kit but at that point its retarded not to just get a REAL GT turbo.

Ive raced 3 tial 660 kits with my Automatic car at waterfest and all of them lost bad. Ive never heard good feed back from Tial owners that are not posting on the net.. This is why I wouldn't suggest them to the OP.

I know one guy with Tials and he thinks there junk.. I know two other guys that got them and Tial tightened the waste gate too tight and he ended up running too much boost and hurting a rod trying to figgure it out. From everyone Ive talked to and read on the net. If you don't run 30lbs of boost on Tials there not really impressive.

and Tials don't spool faster the GT's try doing more searching. There the same.

I don't know the vast guys personally but they have always been very nice and have lots of S4's there. that always makes me feel better.

It always looks like this when I go there.

So I would expect a wait but there usually quick to get your car in and if your able to pay your bill and don't need for them to take there time I think there quick. They did my RS6's in 3 days. I know they did a GT kit on my buddys car in less then 1 week.

Vast doesn't have a dyno but they use one if customers ask for it. The tunes they make are for the road so they tune for it. I like that approach better then just throwing it on a dyno and calling it a day. Also at this point these cars shouldn't me a mystery any more to companys like vast. They have hundreds and hundreds of tunes out there for the 2.7 so I would think they have most of it worked out.
laugh out loud.. no, i do not sell for TiAL, but i dont like people trash talking other peoples work or a certain product due to one dyno day. i think that is my biggest problem with your post. had you ripped into the GT kits that VAST uses, id have said the same thing. and i can tell you this, if you walked 3 660 kits, then they have a boost leak or are not tuned properly, maybe they have a baseline file, idk.. but for one, 660 kits?? there are 605's and 650's and then the 770's, ive never heard of 660's.. and then, 605's tuned right will walk my RS6 car, they do spool slightly slower but have a lot more top end. and im sorry, but a 12.8 at the track is a bad day for me. so im guessing if these TiAL cars "lost badly" to your 12.8 sec car, then something was up with their car, which you have to admit is always a possibility with these cars. bad tune, faulty EGT's, bad n75.. could have been anything..

all that said, VAST still has the best deal going around, especially if you are going to throw rods in it. and i dont care what ANYBODY says... the GT's spool WAY later than the TiAL's.. alls you have to do is check them out on youtube. look up some logs on audizine, and i would post up logs and such but im tired and need sleep..

Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 AM
1st Gear

Big I hear ya.

I wan't trying to come off the wrong way. So I just responded back to how you asked me.
With the 2.7T IMHO its hard to sort threw the B.S. From the one dyno day and the few guys Ive meet at car shows and GTG's No one is really super excited about the Tials from what Ive seen. Thats more of what I wanted to come across as.

As for spool I don't know. The one guys car with the tials didn't really make 20lbs of boost till 4500. So. Who knows your right tho who knows how is car is running

Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 AM
2nd Gear

yah, im not sure if i am really either.... EPL does sell them, but to get major power out of them you push 30 psi to get close to 600whp on pump, but then if you want GT power you push 35-40 psi on race gas. that is a lot of boost, im sure the set up has to be tight as a drum to make sure hoses dont go blowing off all the time...

but i do get defensive when someone cuts into a setup. especially when ive seen some really fast cars from TiAL. the only thing that i will let someone rip into is the RS4 pressure plate, which i will say makes for a great DD setup, but aint worth **** if you are going to track the car as much as i do mine..
anywho, all this arguing and we still agreed that VAST has the best deal going on right now, and i dont know of any VAST customers that are unhappy. OP's looks like hes made his decision.. hell, if this deal had been around a few years back before i started my build, id be sporting some GT's and a VAST tune right now...

Old 09-16-2010, 05:49 PM

I'd go with a Vast kit, rods, and valve springs. Taking into consideration labor, and a few little miscellaneous items, that should eat up most of your budget.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:44 PM

Where can i find some logs from different turbo kits for things like the spool rpm and what not?

Also im curious about the awe kits? something i have noticed so far tho is that even with the AWE kits they dont come with manifolds..

Old 09-16-2010, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear

IMO AWE is overpriced for what you get.. you can get a tune and turbos from marc for cheaper than that and much more aggressive. i can try and dig up some logs..

seriously, i love this forum, but audizine has ENORMOUS amounts of info on stuff like this... tons of logs.. here is a log of RS6's compared with K04's and gt28's.. the gt nor the RS6's where tuned properly, but you get an idea of the spool time and rpm..

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...highlight=logs

that is just a couple of charts/logs from various RS6 and k04 cars, id suggest read the entire thread as more info is in the threads a little later on..

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade