S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Default Turbo Upgrade

Just baught a 2001 S4 and im in the market to upgrade the turbos and a few other things. i was wondering if i could get some help in choosing the best turbo kit for the car. i want to get as much power as possible but without sacrificing reliability. i have about 15k to spend on parts but i want to get the most out of it. so if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

what would you do with 15k to get the most out of your B5 S4

Old 09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
2nd Gear

are you doing the installation of the parts and also are you including suspension in your price estimate?

Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Tormented
Just baught a 2001 S4 and im in the market to upgrade the turbos and a few other things. i was wondering if i could get some help in choosing the best turbo kit for the car. i want to get as much power as possible but without sacrificing reliability. i have about 15k to spend on parts but i want to get the most out of it. so if someone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

what would you do with 15k to get the most out of your B5 S4
This is by far the best deal you can get.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Final-Release

My buddy has the 600 kit with a VAST motor build. HE spent just about what you have set aside for a motor and kit.

With the B5 game there are lots of sharks out there. Don't get fooled into getting the tial or ATP stuff. The comments from people all point out that those kits suck. For the money get the VAST kit its the best deal

Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 AM

If possible id like to have the suspension in that price yes but if not its no big deal, and i wont be doing all of the installation myself but labor isnt going to be an issue. i will be helping a friend of mine who works on audis pretty often.

as for the vast motor build. went to the site and checked it out. is that the type of thing where i would have to send my motor off to them and they do it? or can i buy the entire kit and do the build personally

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 AM

also i wanted to ask, i was reading the ultimate 2.7l upgrade guide post (or whatever its called) and i found this in there ( ASP's cream of the crop is its $15500 GT28RS turbo kit. Along with the Garrett turbos with modified housings for better fitting, you get in-house software, ASP tubular and coated headers, downpipes with high-flow cats, 38mm Tial wastegates, split wastegate tubing, stainless lines, hoses, gaskets, 90mm MAF housing, 60 lb/hr injectors, 4bar FPR, Bosch Motorsport fuel pump, platinum spark plugs, phenolic spacers and ASP's FMIC kit. You'll also need a clutch kit ($800), which is sprung for a factory feel. Additionally, you'll need a cat-back ($1000) to fit ASP's downpipes, bringing your new total to $17300. The result is a whopping 560whp with 590 lb/ft on 93 octane, and 635whp and 611 lb/ft on C16 race fuel.) now that shows larger numbers than the vast kit. i also found that same turbo upgrade kit for 5k cheaper so around 10k .

Old 09-09-2010, 02:19 AM
2nd Gear

anything over 500whp and they are assuming you are doing rods. and gt kit is nice but you wont have the spool of say a K04 or even a RS6 turbo. you need to figure out what you want in a daily driver. yeah VAST has some good kits, but damn.. rev to 5000 before you feel anything would be pointless, unless you built the engine and heads to rev past 8500.. and thats what you get with the GT kits. and TiAL kits are good, idk what this guy is talking about. search audizine, there are a number of TiAL guys out there..

if you were starting now, id go ahead and spend the money and built the block, if you are like me, you are going to want more power soon.. lol.. build the block and 2.8 cams/heads and go with a VAST kit that is going to be your moneys worth..

Old 09-09-2010, 03:15 AM
1st Gear

also i wanted to ask, i was reading the ultimate 2.7l upgrade guide post (or whatever its called) and i found this in there ( ASP's cream of the crop is its $15500 GT28RS turbo kit. Along with the Garrett turbos with modified housings for better fitting, you get in-house software, ASP tubular and coated headers, downpipes with high-flow cats, 38mm Tial wastegates, split wastegate tubing, stainless lines, hoses, gaskets, 90mm MAF housing, 60 lb/hr injectors, 4bar FPR, Bosch Motorsport fuel pump, platinum spark plugs, phenolic spacers and ASP's FMIC kit. You'll also need a clutch kit ($800), which is sprung for a factory feel. Additionally, you'll need a cat-back ($1000) to fit ASP's downpipes, bringing your new total to $17300. The result is a whopping 560whp with 590 lb/ft on 93 octane, and 635whp and 611 lb/ft on C16 race fuel.) now that shows larger numbers than the vast kit. i also found that same turbo upgrade kit for 5k cheaper so around 10k .
ASP is the biggest joke ever. do some searching. I was at at dyno day 2 months ago and one of ASP's GT kit put down less then a VAST RS6 car. You don't see anyone with ASP kits because they were more hype then hp. ASP is the only one that will tell you there kits are any good. That car they Claimed did 635 caught on fire and when it was put on a different dyno OTHER THEN THE ASP in house dyno. It did less then 510whp ON RACE GAS. That is a big difference.. but that is typical ASP.

The two big names are VAST And EPL for tuning. EPL supports the Tial kits and VAST will tune for all kits but there GT600 kits put down 500-550whp all day long. As for the motor build you would have to call them I don't know stuff like that.

As for tial kits.. There not better the the ATP kit.. these are GT turbos that bolt up to your stock exhaust manifold. Once again where there is a great idea there is great price. The Stock manifold starts to get backed up after about 450whp the #6 and #3 cylinders start to get lots of knock and timing retard. If you port your stock manifolds your going to shift the back up to cylinder 5 and 1.

The Tial kits don't and haven't produced any real numbers. check the 034 dyno day. the Tial 760 kit did a whopping 440whp.. Lots of videos little track results. Tial kits only really get a good rap due to EPL tuning for them. That is about the only good thing tial has.

For me in the end. The VAST kit costs less then the tial kits and you get manifolds and IMHO a better package and tune

Last edited by twinturbomew; 09-09-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM

http://www.autospeed.us/store.php?cr...on=show_detail

thats the link of the turbo kit im interested in. and as for building the block does anyone have suggestions for a site to do that? and do they start with a block they have and build it or do i have to send them my own?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 AM
1st Gear

http://www.autospeed.us/store.php?cr...on=show_detail

thats the link of the turbo kit im interested in. and as for building the block does anyone have suggestions for a site to do that? and do they start with a block they have and build it or do i have to send them my own?
No. Do some searching. ASP Stole the idea from VAG, and ARD/VAST You can get the same kit (header style turbo headers) for thousands less from a bigger company in the business for the 2.7T game.

You would be paying too much and getting less in return. Look at this post you can get the headers and not just the log style kits
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...light=vast+ard

Im telling you the asp kit requires you to hack up the motor and trans and bang on parts of the body. Not only that but there tune sucks and non of there cars ever made good power or ever lasted

Last edited by twinturbomew; 09-10-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by twinturbomew
ASP is the biggest joke ever. do some searching. I was at at dyno day 2 months ago and one of ASP's GT kit put down less then a VAST RS6 car. You don't see anyone with ASP kits because they were more hype then hp. ASP is the only one that will tell you there kits are any good. That car they Claimed did 635 caught on fire and when it was put on a different dyno OTHER THEN THE ASP in house dyno. It did less then 510whp ON RACE GAS. That is a big difference.. but that is typical ASP.

The two big names are VAST And EPL for tuning. EPL supports the Tial kits and VAST will tune for all kits but there GT600 kits put down 500-550whp all day long. As for the motor build you would have to call them I don't know stuff like that.

As for tial kits.. There not better the the ATP kit.. these are GT turbos that bolt up to your stock exhaust manifold. Once again where there is a great idea there is great price. The Stock manifold starts to get backed up after about 450whp the #6 and #3 cylinders start to get lots of knock and timing retard. If you port your stock manifolds your going to shift the back up to cylinder 5 and 1.

The Tial kits don't and haven't produced any real numbers. check the 034 dyno day. the Tial 760 kit did a whopping 440whp.. Lots of videos little track results. Tial kits only really get a good rap due to EPL tuning for them. That is about the only good thing tial has.

For me in the end. The VAST kit costs less then the tial kits and you get manifolds and IMHO a better package and tune
you take one dyno day and condemn TiAL's. do you sell for VAST?? VAST themselves in that thread say that they dont have any track data or even any logs or dyno sheets for those kits. so in truth they arent even proven. and i dont know about stock mani's not allowing over 450. im running a stock mani, and my car dyno-ed 458whp, and since then ive added more boost and timing, and my logs dont show excessive knock in the back 2 cylinders. ive never even read this info anywhere, and i have real data to prove it otherwise.

to the OP. the TiAL's will get you better spool time than the VAST kits, hands down. and the VAST kits are one of the best deals out there, and compared to the 605's, they have a lot more uncapped power so to speak, much more upside and potential. but to get there you need to build your heads and bottom end. which you should also do with the TiAL's, as they also make enough power to break stuff easily. i know of 4 or 5 guys with 605's and 770's, all with power starting from 500whp to 585whp on pump. many happy customers. and there are many people with VAST gt kits that are putting down great numbers and walking cars, hell VAST's work speaks for itself. keep an open mind when looking at either kit, decide what you want in either a DD or a weekend warrior and make a decision based on true facts backed up by logs and personnal experiences by various owners of different setups. i like this forum, but seriously you should get on audizine, much more people to discuss these with and many various setups/platforms to note.

Quick Reply: Turbo Upgrade