S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Turbo timers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 08:30 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Turbo timers?

ORIGINAL: ImolaS4

No sarcasm AudiKP. Just reality questions. I don't diss - I just bring a different point of view. As I said, "I suppose it's up to (him) at this point."
Did not mean to hurt your feelings. Your point of view was certainly recognized for just that. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2005, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

I understand waiting the 2 min before shutting down the car and using the car door beep is a good way to know when its good to turn off....However, this does not really replace a turbo timer in the sense that the whole idea behind it is that you don't have to wait to shut down the car. I mean if the whole idea of a turbo timer was to let you know when 2 min was up...why would it have to connect to your car?

Call me crazy.....

Old 04-15-2005, 09:39 PM
3rd Gear

Very true AudiKP. That was what prompted me to ask if the 2 minutes (or whatever) were critical. If they are, then yeah, a tt would be a good idea. Either you want to walk away before two minutes or you don't mind waiting.

I think we are saying the same thing. It's all about what value someone puts on that amount of time that a tt will give them. What I don't think is a good idea is to put so much confidence in the tt that someone thinks the turbos are now safe from any trouble. I can just hear it now... "I don't know why my turbo blew. I have a turbo timer!"

Bear in mind, my system isn't perfect either. If I have really driven the car hard and come to a stop/destination immediately after the hard drive, I will wait longer than the door alarm. I don't mind waiting around for the car to cool down. I usually have something to do - like get stuff from the trunk or put away the radar detector. It's all relative I guess.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

I guess I look at it this way....we can all agree that its good to let the turbos "cool down". If you ALWAYS allow them a decent amount of time to "cool down" then they "should" last longer. So if you want to make sure they always have time to "cool down"...even when you don't have time to wait, then a tt is a good buy. If Im reading you correctly imola then you have this time and therefore not tt....others that don't you support the tt investment? correct?

Old 04-16-2005, 12:11 AM
3rd Gear

I think the best way to put it is what you said:

...its good to let the turbos "cool down"..... So if you want to make sure they always have time to "cool down"...even when you don't have time to wait, then a tt is a good buy.
That's the best way to put it.

I'm just the kind of guy who likes to offer an alternative idea (if there is one) to consider, too.