S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

turbo install w/o pulling motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 05:30 PM
1st Gear
Default turbo install w/o pulling motor

i know devils4 has done it, but i directed all 4 semi local places that do turbo swaps to the "hybrids going in" thread and all said they wont do it and have to pull the motor

so how do i convince them it works, or are they just lazy to try it and want to stick to the method they are used to

or am i messing up the fac tthat this works for the hybrid ko3s and not ko4s??

(i dont even own a s4 yet haha, im just looking for in the future)

Old 12-09-2006, 08:15 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: turbo install w/o pulling motor

The k04's are a little bigger, but I took out a set of k04's and put the k03's in. So I don't see how you wouldn't be able to do it the other way around. My driver side K04 had a bad bearing, so they are getting rebuilt now. I'll have them back in as k04/k24's this spring.

Old 12-09-2006, 09:50 PM

it is probably becauase it is a 3 hour job vs. a 14 hour job which means they will get loads more money for pulling a motor and spending more time. Remember you are working with mechanics, 98% are more than willing to screw you over.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Deb38

it is probably becauase it is a 3 hour job vs. a 14 hour job which means they will get loads more money for pulling a motor and spending more time. Remember you are working with mechanics, 98% are more than willing to screw you over.
flat rate is a bitch, thats why no one will do it. im sure techs do it like that, through the front, but the Labor Time Guide still says 14 hrs. for turbo replacement. good luck finding someone to charge you accordingly...

Old 12-10-2006, 06:55 AM
1st Gear

You also have to look at how each shop feels the best way to swap them is. I looked at my car when it was on a hoist and to tell you the truth if I was going to spend all that money on new turbos I would rather they took out the entire motor (only if they were a AUDI specific mechanic) so they could look over the entire motor and have more space for the work. You can drive with your feet and it may free up your hands but that doesnt make it a good idea

Old 12-10-2006, 03:31 PM
3rd Gear

Changing a bad turbo, & adding bigger turbo is 2 different jobs.

The gaskets are all different from K03-4, you also have to change inlet pipes.
most people also change out the oil lines.

I also think it much harder to tell what's going on with all the turbo lines with the engine in the car.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

Well this post was all I needed to push me over the edge to buying an S4 as a daily. Thanks guys, this forum is not only informative friendly and thats somthing that is lacking in most forums you find these days.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:02 PM

Hey crew...new to this forum, but just an FYI...i just got my 2000 s4 back from the shop, and the total was 14 hours of labor to drop in my brand new Hybrids, send a log file to belgium, get the log file back, trick out the software after soldering a new chip on the board, and, install an Rs4 clutch.

So, this thread is just about dead on in terms of time it takes. Might as well do the clutch when you have to drop out a motor, and with 425hp now, the old clutch would have been GONZO in like 10,000 miles with this new launch power.

Get a good mechanic you trust. TELL THEM what you want to do. Read these forums and you wont get screwed, and trust me on this...upgrade to the hybrid turbos...so much more on the low end, almost leaves you light headed with that much torque...this is coming from a 4 time 911 owner. I track prepped my 1999 911, cold air intake, springs, etc, and this AUDI WOULD EAT IT FOR LUNCH....on the track...or street. There is no better car on the road....and talk about sure footed.

Insane.

Traderx OUT

Old 12-12-2006, 10:08 PM
1st Gear

But still for a clutch job don't they drop the transmission which is cheaper to do i thought and still your going to save time by replacing turbos through the front, just what i think, could be wrong though. Or if you know someone with a lift, get a write up and try and change the turbos yourself through the front and then when the clutch goes have the shop do it.

Old 12-13-2006, 03:47 PM

one thing i want to know...what happend to all thoes picks that devil promised up?

Quick Reply: turbo install w/o pulling motor