S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

track impressions new s4

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:22 AM
1st Gear
Default track impressions new s4

i just returned from track day at pocono raceway with s4. my track experiences started in 1999 with boxster then switched to 95 ferrari spider in 2002. i usually drive about 3 hrs from home to track then home again same day so it was a real treat to have cruise control, a/c, satellite radio, super adjustable seats, and an auto trany.

i wasnt expecting too much from the car since it's heavy, etc. i considered driving in a slower group but stayed in my usual intermediate group anyway. these were many of the same cars i drive with when i use ferrari so i was amazed that i was able to keep up with audi. it took me a little while to figure out the paddles which i felt were pretty slow to shift on the street. they really work well when driven hard. much better really then gated fcar shifter which is cumbersome. i was able to get to 2nd gear for the hairpin in s4 which i cannot do with ferrari because it takes too long to make 2 shifts.

this is 1st car ive used that had stability control and it makes a huge difference in slow corners. can really just hit apex then nail gas and let computer do the rest. i would not recommend doing this on a high speed corner though. i made a mistake at about 120mph on the banked oval section where i hit the apex early and thought i might hit wall. esp came on and brought car right under control. was a hairy moment thought and i actually got spooked and left the session in the middle. i also drove with the esp off and found steering to be very communicative and able to control slides with it. this was a surprise since i thought awd wouldnt allow good steering feel. i didnt brake very hard but felt the peddle stayed firm all day. acceleration is on a par with my f car.

things i would change would be larger gear indicators in dashboard for paddle mode. i would like a louder exhaust note for the track also. a switchable muffler baffle would suit this car nicely where you could select quiet for street and loud for track. suspension could be lower about an inch or so for looks and to eliminate pitching under braking. the satellite antenna on the roof also seems like its peeling off. guess its not made for 140 mph!

overall, this car is absolutely incredible. its not as involving to drive on track as a ferrari or even a boxster but it has nearly the same performance, is much easier to drive and has the ability to get you to and from the track in total comfort.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:14 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: track impressions new s4

Thanks for the very cool report from the track. I'm considering buying an S4 with tip now as well, so I always like reading info on this model and how it performs. It sounds like all of the issues that you have with the S4(exhaust, ride height, antenna) all all easy and common mods to perform. I hope you keep having a good time in your new wheels.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:30 PM
1st Gear

Wow, you did all this with a Tip S4?

Old 10-05-2005, 10:12 PM

nice to hear someone is actually using their s4. I cant wait till i have a s4 and take it to the track.

Old 10-05-2005, 11:11 PM
1st Gear

thanks for replies.

one question i have for anyone who's tracked their s4 is what to do with tire pressures. sticker says 44f/32r psi cold but gets very high when hot. saw 55 in front and was afraid of blow out. i just lowered them about 10 psi from recommended and seemed ok. question may become moot since car is my sons and he wasnt so happy about me using it on track. oh well

Old 10-05-2005, 11:38 PM

wow u muct be loaded for ur son to drive a new s4. Well i guess thats why u had a ferrari too, but if u have so much why did u waste it on a boxster?