S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Took the Mech fan off... SOOO NICE!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Took the Mech fan off... SOOO NICE!!

I was reading on AW forums and saw a few threads on taking off the mechanical fan, that it isnt needed, so I figured I would give it a whirl, and it has absolutely NO downsides, and lots of benefits.

Getting it off was a serious PITA, but I finally got it off, and the engine idles smoother, revs faster,has more power, and the best part is no more obnoxious fan noise.

as long as you dont live in phoenix, I HIGHLY recommend it. I fully expect my fuel economy to improve a bit as well...

Old 07-16-2007, 11:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Took the Mech fan off... SOOO NICE!!

yeah, where are you located? I doubt this would fly in my area... As long as were on the topic: who else has done this mod? anybody using the elec. fan?

Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Sheboygan, Wi. It stayed cool all day today, and it was 75 and I was puttering through traffic with the air off (only one fan runs with the air off).

Its supposed ot get hot next week, we will see how it does then....

Old 07-17-2007, 05:23 AM
1st Gear

You might want to go invest in a EFK. I have this on my car and there is a good amount of power to be had. But you will over heat if you are in stop and go traffic or even in city traffic on a hot day

Old 07-17-2007, 12:16 PM

taking the fan off is super easy...if you have the correct tools for it.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Baskin 4.2l

You might want to go invest in a EFK. I have this on my car and there is a good amount of power to be had. But you will over heat if you are in stop and go traffic or even in city traffic on a hot day
How are the EFK's to install? How about the noise: Are they loud, or unoticable?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 PM

are there any write up on this?

Old 07-17-2007, 06:14 PM
1st Gear

Yes, I do plan on the EFK just for safety. Getting the fan off is fairly involved. You have to remove the drivers side charge pipe, then there is a slot in the pulley towards the rim, stick a screwdriver in this slot, then wedge it in there, next, wedge a screw driver between the nut on the fan drive, and the screwdriver you stuck through the slot in the pulley. this is how you can hold the pulley steady and get enough torque on it to loosen it. THE FAN HUB IS REVERSE THREADED, so TURN THE WRENCH ON THE FAN NUT CLOCKWISE to take it off. I dont have any pics, so dont ask.

It took me 2 hours of swearing at the pulley to figure this method out, since I dont hae the proper tools, so thank me I just made your life easier and shared the secret, lol.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:09 AM
1st Gear

Nice job just the same. As for the fan kit there are 2 versions I know of that vast has (that is what I have on my car) there is the standard flow and the high flow. The standard is barely noticeable IMO the high flow is a little more noticeable if you have your windows down

Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 PM
3rd Gear

In the summer, that might not be the best thing to take off. However, if you have the lower temp afterrun sensor, it kicks on the electric fan sooner.

If I didn't have the Bi-pipe, mine would be off right now, it's kind of a PITA to get at.

Quick Reply: Took the Mech fan off... SOOO NICE!!