S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 10:54 AM
1st Gear
Default timing belt question

Ok i started my tb change. My question is im about to pull the balancer pulley .i removed the 6 allen bolts . now should the pulley come off now or is it just stuck or do i need a puller? Cause it aint moving. I m not doing anymore today. watching football. my cam seals are leaking like a ****. glad i bought seals. any help here would well, help.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:22 AM
2nd Gear

there should be 8 allen fasteners on the crank pulley, but yeah, then it should come off. maybe a slight tap with a heavy hammer and itll pop right off. do you have the cam holder? you have to have it and put it in place to hold the cams right during removal. now is it just your cam seals? or is the plugs on the back of the heads leaking too? or are you leaking oil from your cam adjuster seals, which are a major pain as i just changed mine. you can use tool #3366 to compress the cam seal adjusters and get just enough room to reinstall the seals on them, but i suggest you have a very high skill level when it comes to automotive repair. heres a link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Au...mZ110300530467

and heres a link for the crank holder and cam holder

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-Au...mZ170270460091

good luck brother...

Old 10-19-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

I got the pulley off ,funny i was just cleaning up and hit with my hand and it came loose. yesterday it wouldn`t budge. I have a cam locking bar in place. i have a crank lockin pin but can t find where to install it. i`m still working on that. i hear its on the bottom towards the back and u have to remove a 10mm bolt and plug. but i can t find it. can someone give me more of an idea where its at. and it looks like the cam seals leaking but once the tb is off i may b able to see better.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

The plug on the tranny side of where the engine mount bracket bolts to the block on the driver side. It is black with an allen screw holding it in.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:31 PM
1st Gear

ahh ok thanks i`ll take a look. im not working on it again until next saturday. im sure next week i`ll have more ?`s. thanks guys for the help.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

get underneath the car, remove the black undercover protector thingy and find your driverside turbo oil return line. if you look up on the block close to it right under the manifold you should see the black plastic plug.. but honestly.. if no one cranks the engine or spins the crank you shouldnt have that much problems lining your timing marks up. your flywheel or crank aint just gonna spin on its own..

for some other oil leaks to check out..id look with a mirror at the back of your heads on both sides.. there is a cam adjuster back there on the passenger side and a plug and just a plug on the back of the driverside.. the cam adjuster is on the front of the driver side head.. id check them because they are prone to leak oil ...

Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

i found the plug , i`m in no hurry to complete so i want to get everything changed that needs it. rite now i only see oil on front of motor and in tb covers, nothing on sides, i`ll check the back next saturday when i continue. Thanks guys for helping me ,this is the first time i pulled an AUDI apart like this. I used to be chevy man but corrected the errors of my ways. LOL.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

we forgive you..

Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 PM
4th Gear

BE careful putting that plug back in. When my car was worked on they pulled the plug and when they put it back (Even with the o-ring which was in good shape) it leaked oil like crazy. It will NOT leak when your car is off but when it's running it leaks a lot. i went through 5 quarts of oil in 1 month!!!! But because it only leaked when i drove I didn't realize it was leaking till my low oil light came on when driving. Scared the crap out of me!

josh

Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

Everything is back together and car is running good. Thanks for all the help. Man that is a load off my mind. when i started it the first time i closed my eyes and prayed. lol but it started rite up . shewww. I`m doing some touch up on my bumper and I`m thinking of doing the clear corner mod but i`m still on the fence about that.

Quick Reply: timing belt question