S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Stock S4 vs Stock G35, who would win?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Stock S4 vs Stock G35, who would win?

It changed to 298 in 05, i was planning on getting one before i found the s4...

Old 03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Roadhawk

I do think the latest G35 is close to 300hp...that being said - I'm not sure what I have run against (however I haven't run one recently) - but with my chipped 01 Avant I have literally toyed with G35s - being able to pull on them at will - rolling along and from a stop. A point of note - I also have beaten G35s off the line in my 330ZHP - not by much but always ahead...and I feel that my S4 - even in stock mode (when I had the APR chip - set to stock) was as fast - if not faster- then the BMW.

I as well have a 6spd 2002 BMW 330ci w/ intake, exhaust. Although I didnt get the ZHP package bc it wasn't available for the Ci til the ladder years. It may just be because I OWN at driving a stick...Well I did go to the M driving school in S.C. last spring..... But I absolutely murdered my friend who has a six speed '06 G35. I forget what he said numbers on his coupe were but I remember that at the WHEELS its not very impressive. (Also he has stock everything except for intake).
Keep in mind that any car is hard to get full power out of it, even more so if its a stick. I've looked everywhere for legit numbers on the G35 coupe but certain sites list the wheel and not the crank and others crank and not the wheel HP.... This is especially confusing being that the numbers change with every year.

I recently bought an 01.5 S4 and haven't had a chance to run with him yet. But, I know my 01.5 S4 ( only DVs and Kevlar TBBs) & (tip, unfortunately!) consistently beats my 330ci by atleast a car length and half (sometimes even up to 3 car lengths). Soo....I can only assume that an 01.5 S4 would do the same to the G35 coupe regardless of year.

I will definetly let everyone know once we get the chance to meet up again.....

Old 03-16-2006, 08:53 PM
2nd Gear

Interesting - though I think I would dispute your implied claim of auto being quicker then a stick in most every case - unless the drive absolutly cannot shift worth a ****. The BMW 3 series is a case and point - particularly the ZHP addition with the factory short shifter. it is smooth, precise, quick. I do have some issue on occasion with beating the synchros (I always have this issue at times) and with the dreaded clutch delay valve - designed to buffer the effect of quick shifts on the clutch (so I gather) - I plan to get the latter removed someday. Anyway the 3 series - and again the ZHP in particular are just so very easy to drive quite quickly with great confidence. When I first test drove the ZHP I just got in and went - I felt comfortable immediatly and could drive it quite quickly. Of course with a year and 1/2 of experience with the car i can make it go to 100% of its ability - I have great confidence in this - I'm talking acceleration - handling is also very natural with this car - but I cannot as yet claim complete mastery - still in the learning curve. But the point is - some cars are easier to drive to their potential and are easier to drive quickly - regardless of printed numbers. Though slalom times will tell you more then strict 0-60 for most track and even street (at least out in the country stuff) type runs. And the 3 series clearly has the edge on the G35...I even think that the Mazda RX-8 does up to a point (it peters out after a bit - but the handling is great). Likewise I thin the S4 is easy to drive fast - due to its high torque. I often find myself driving in a lazier manner - even when hammering it in the S4 - because i can and it matters less - in most cases the torque and over all oomph of the car is more then sufficient to blast past most or do what i want to do - whatever it is. WIth the BMW I have to pay more attention. Rev range is critical - quick shifts necessary - proper flutter & stomp of acceleration, heal and toe in the twisties...and this is why I think you will enjoy both cars - and will be able to take your buddy in his G35 in nearly every situation. Your potential in the S4 with the trip is nowhere near as high as the manual - but there is plently of fun to be had with what you've got - and a chip UG may be in order - hopefully your turbos are in good shape...