S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

SInce there alot of hehay on triptronic vs manual on moded b5, lettz say...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:50 AM
1st Gear
Default SInce there alot of hehay on triptronic vs manual on moded b5, lettz say...

Hey ya;ll, since i have quite a few concerns on getting the truth abt how much HP the triptonic could hold, the problem of the seal leak and the relevance of the engine power output to the rate at which the tranny blows up.
I know manual is always much fun but also talking to older car enthusiast that race and tune cars 4 a good deal of their lives their take was that in a case when engine power is not a limitation i.e there is more than enuff power to throw down at the wheels(whp) an automatic was recommended.
reason given: consistent track times, minimal errors as long as it was beefed up and built for that specific application.

Now comes the fun part, i was reading about the DSM(more electronically biased) in the new TT's . What if we could take out a DSM from a TT and adpat it to a B5 or B6 s4, if its possible that will be sock true test of the best of both worlds. I dont even know if itz possible but i know when there is a will there is always a way.......

"DSG" transmission is a manual without a clutch, and the DSG is only available on the 3.2 TT if I recall correctly?(A tiptronic has a torque convertor, and works like an automatic) but a The DSG is based off a manual transmission with an automatic clutch.

And claims to be always better than the BEST manual tranny driver on his best day. (Hence: DSG = Direct Shift Gearbox)

Old 07-15-2007, 03:29 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: SInce there alot of hehay on triptronic vs manual on moded b5, lettz say...

The tip will hold any power you can throw at it, especially if you upgrade the TC & VB, that's about the price of a upgraded clutch.

Yes, a slush box will be more consistent on the 1/4 then a manual. All you need is a heavy right foot. In the S4, the gearing in the TIP is a little better for 1/4mi, with the longer gears.

The TT stuff will just not work in a S4. The S4 engine is longitude layout, where as the TT is transverse mounted like a FWD car.

DSG is a manual trans, it just had hydraulic shifting, vs the manual lever, it does have a clutch, you just can't control it. The TIP is a true automatic, that just lets you shift with buttons.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Default RE: SInce there alot of hehay on triptronic vs manual on moded b5, lettz say...

Newbie question... what's a VB?

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

The tip will hold any power you can throw at it, especially if you upgrade the TC & VB, that's about the price of a upgraded clutch.

Old 07-15-2007, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

Yes, a slush box will be more consistent on the 1/4 then a manual. All you need is a heavy right foot. In the S4, the gearing in the TIP is a little better for 1/4mi, with the longer gears.

The TT stuff will just not work in a S4. The S4 engine is longitude layout, where as the TT is transverse mounted like a FWD car.

DSG is a manual trans, it just had hydraulic shifting, vs the manual lever, it does have a clutch, you just can't control it. The TIP is a true automatic, that just lets you shift with buttons.
Cool i s C, u knowz ur stuff .
i just thiught that wud be sweeeeeeet, Trip it is then.
let the search beginnnnnnnnnnnnn[:-]

Old 07-18-2007, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Ilan
Newbie question... what's a VB?
Valve Body, it's what does the shifting for a Auto trans.