S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear
Default shifter question

Maybe this has already been addressed somewhere, but I can't find it. Do all B5 S4s have somewhat of a rigid shifting feel? I feel like i have to force the shifter sometimes into 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Would a short shifter have a better feel, and a smoother, faster shift? Does anyone else have issues like this with the stock shifter?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Default RE: shifter question

force as in likea more gated shifter like feel, cause thats true. Or force as in like your having a hard time getting it into gear, I presume your talking about my first answer. Our gear box is none too sloppy at all.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 AM
1st Gear

To me that sounds like something is wrong or thesyncros are wearingetc...depending on how hard you need to force the gears that is. If there are tranny issues, changing to a short shifter would be unlikely to help your problem, unless it's a bushing or similar part included in the install. The short shifter might make it slightlyharder to get into gearactually.

You might be better off spending the money on changing the trans. fluid first and see if it helps the feel.

With all that said, the S4's transmission is known for being a little notchy and having somewhat of a long throw...so basically if it feels like something is notright trygetting the fluid changed.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
2nd Gear

what you talk about is normal like audi ops says, if you want a even tighter feel in the shifter not as much slop when not in gear get a jhm shifter runs like 220.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:50 PM
2nd Gear

yeah ive noticed the more notchy feel too

i feel like 2nd isnt straight down and if you try it almost gets hooked on something

its more like down and a little to the right

it took some getting used to but now ive got it smooth

Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: washyourrhands

i feel like 2nd isnt straight down and if you try it almost gets hooked on something

perfect description of how my shifter used to feel. The JHM shifter, DTS, and snub mount made it much nicer to shift. Im going to change my transmission fluid next iv heard form alot of people that it helps

Old 03-30-2008, 10:06 PM
2nd Gear

hey HP can you PM me about your shifter situation i wanna talk to you about this cus i wanna make it a little smoother

thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2008, 01:48 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: HP Addict

perfect description of how my shifter used to feel. The JHM shifter, DTS, and snub mount made it much nicer to shift. Im going to change my transmission fluid next iv heard form alot of people that it helps
Yeah i have done the same thing also way better shifting, but I also changed my fluid and my car is like butter now AMAZING.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:03 PM
2nd Gear

whats the full setup you guys have

i dont really know much about short shifters and whatnot

what company should i buy it from?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:26 PM

whats the full setup you guys have

i dont really know much about short shifters and whatnot

what company should i buy it from?
well i dont really know too much or have any setup right now but from my short shifter research, JHM makes the best one. its pricey but when you watch their videos you know why.

Quick Reply: shifter question