S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 vs Altima SE-R + mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: S4 vs Altima SE-R + mods

My bad on the cobalt story, just thought i would post it bc I thought it was funny

Old 04-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Site Moderator

haha.... no worries man... its a pretty funny story that he thought he could keep up with you... that was mroe baffling to me.. it was just like 3 odd cars in a row of comparison..

Old 04-22-2006, 02:23 AM
2nd Gear

A ways back (Stage 2 APR chip) I was hounded by this tricked out maxima (previous generation) who wanted to race me but it was a congested area and I just wasn't interested...still I drive pretty quickly just normally so perhaps I gave him the impression we were going and he took off pretty good...so much so that I thought after I wished I would have run him just to see...I think (know) I would have beat him - still he was certainly pushing much more then the stock maxima and was eager to show it...

As for now...lol...I took my car by the shop due to this noise (exhaust, tranny, ?) that I couldn't reproduce (guess that is good - but it was ugly for a bit...)...so my mechanic and the shop owner got to race around driving my car (450 miles on the clutch BTW...so yeah brooken in and has been since about 180 miles it seems...) anyway they were discussing cars that they had worked on faster then mine - as the owner was flipping about how fast my S4 was - they concluded that only some modded Porsche 949s (?) and such were quicker - just seat of the pants....that is saying something...anyway yeah....monster fast...I would think only a skyline or really done up 350Z or something seriously transformed in the Nissan world could even have a chance with this car...I've been having lots of fun just dusting by folks after giving them 3-4 car lengths after easing out in first then dropping into second and stomping to redline...usually its near instantaneous 60 mph and dozens of car lengths (and variations of such)...nothing serious so far just playing...

Actually just remembered a friend of a neighbor of mine had a maxima - last gen again - with a supercharger...said he was around 300hp I think (but don't remember for sure...) never got to see him do anything more then pull in and out of my neighbors driveway...

Old 04-22-2006, 02:30 AM
2nd Gear

drsus - I notice that your si indicates you have a tiptronic...perhaps this has something to do with it.

I used to have a Mazda Milenia S (which was a great car) - - automatic (all in the states were)...it had more hp then the maxima of that generation (210 vs 190) and more torque - but being an auto its 0-60 was at best 7.4 sec...where the maxima was rated mid 6s...perhaps this might explain it...

Old 04-22-2006, 05:04 AM
1st Gear

i posted this just to see if you guys had experiences with them and stuff, i was very sure that the stock s4's would have won despite the mods and mainly wanted to see if you had raced them and how many car lengths you would have had them by certain speeds, and if you can keep up with the 90's vipers, holy **** haha, those run 4 sec 0-60. and i hope to have an S4 soom, saving the cash

Old 04-22-2006, 03:57 PM
2nd Gear

vnv727 - Perhaps what you are thinking is correct (and frankly - having just upgradded to Stage III and feeling it I would not hesitate to take on ANY Viper...not necessarily that I would win - but I would give thema good run...and be they just a bit lax or not fully with it - I think they will lose!) ...one word of caution however - when computing costs of owneship of an B5S4 - plan on a much higher maintence outlay then any other vehical you have ever had. That has been my experience and it has been to the extent that it has severly tempered my joy of ownership in this wonderfully bruttaly fast and enjoying car....OK now - another day and Stage III stomp on it oppurtunity...and its raining out! Yeah - no VIper - or anything 'cept perhaps a Carrera 4S or AWD 911 Turbo or such can even think of hanging...

Old 04-23-2006, 01:33 AM
1st Gear

roadhawk,

I know what you are saying, but a tiptroninc S4 is still not slower than anything with less than at least 300HP. Plus, the maxima was also automatic, so unless Nisaan has some joojoo up their sleeves with their automatics to make them better than Audis..... But eitherway, Tip or manual, we are talking S4 vs Maxima!!! I dont care if I unplug a plug wire on my car, that should make it at the least an even race, on paper that is.

Old 04-23-2006, 03:32 AM
2nd Gear

drsus - yeah agreed...considering I've wasted new (and prior gen) Maximas in my 330 ZHP - absolutly trashed them - and while the 330 is very quick - my S4 has always been faster - even on APR stock mode...

Old 04-23-2006, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

What all do u have done to ur 330i? and sry, but what does ZHP mean? My first car was a 99 323i, i had sum 18's, exhaust, k&n intake, and chip. it was a very fun first car

Old 04-23-2006, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear

330 ZHP is a BMW factory modded 3 series - otherwise known as the Performance Package. Was available from 03-05 model years I believe - mine is an 04 that we picked up in Germany Euro Delivery. It is definatly quicker then a standard 330 - very much so IMO because it is very easy to push hard, redline and make it go fast. I've actually taken a stock S4 in it (but that is me driving it and that ussually counts for something...I don't think its quite as fast as my Avant was even in stock mode (though I never had it fully stock as always had intake, DV, and exhuast mods...Still ZHP really flies - deceptively so....no dragster but definatly faster then most cars out on the street (I've taken WRXs, G35 coups & sedans, Mustangs, and others...even recently played with an E55 AMG and beat him to some merge points....yeah he was trying but not 100%...but was surprised that he couldn't just easily fly past me...and ended up getting angry and almost went through a red light!

Here is the complete scoop lifted from Bimmerfest: (my bolds)

Below is a more descriptive list of what the performance package (ZHP) includes than can be found on BMW's web site:

Engine mods (new camshafts, electronics, & lighter flywheel) for 10HP & 8 ft/lb of torque increase & 6800 max RPM (from 6500).
6 speed short throw shifter
3.07:1 Final drive ratio (instead of 2.91:1)
Max Speed Limiter set to 155 mph (instead of 128)
New M suspension, more "sporty" than standard sport package:
Firmer springs (front +6%, rear +8%)
Firmer shocks (Jounce: front +50%, rear +20%), (Rebound: front +35%, rear -8%)
Larger diameter anti-roll bars: 23.5 mm front (v. 23.0), 18.5 mm rear (v. 18.0)
More rigid forward bushings
Lower ride height by 15 mm (.6 inches) utilizing shorter auxiliary springs
-.5 degrees of camber
BMW M exterior trim elements (front & rear fascia, side sills, & trunk lid spoiler)
Special exterior trim: Anthracite (charcoal) headlight & foglight surrounds, High-Gloss
Shadowline (black gloss) trim
Large diameter stainless steel dual exhaust outlets
Extra thick Alcantra steering wheel
Sport Seats
Alcantra & Cloth upholstry to replace leatherette and standard trim (leather still an option)
Choice of "Black Cube" or "Silver Cube" trim
Anthracite headliner
Red needles on the instrument cluster
Unique 18" Wheels (style 135M), 18x8.0" front, 18x8.5" rear
Wider Tires: 225/40ZR-18 in front and 255/35ZR-18 in the rear.
Steering ratio: ZHP has the steering ratio of 13.7:1. Non-ZHP cars as well as the E46 M3 is 15.4:1, and the E46 M3 Competition has ratio of 14.5:1.

Although the suspension may have been tuned with the assistance of BMW's Motorsports (///M) performance group.... and some interior bits (steering wheel, shift ****) display the ///M logo, this is NOT an "M-car."

It should also be noted that the Performance Package is a North-America only option.
The 135M wheels and M-aero body kit have been available from BMW for some time as individual options in other parts of the world.

Car & Driver was able to get a 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds with a 1/4 mile of 14.3 seconds @97mph from a ZHP-equipped 330i. For comparison, they got identical acceleration numbers from the Infiniti G35 coupe which has 50 more hp!

It braked from 70mph 10ft shorter than a stock 330i (158 vs 168) due to the better OE tires (Michelin Pilot Sports). This means it brakes shorter than all variations of the Porsche 911 (on OE tires)!.

Quick Reply: S4 vs Altima SE-R + mods