S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 or STi?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:39 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: S4 or STi?

I know but when i drove the sti, that thing was way in the way. Just hate how they look. I like the stock wrx wing. Dont get me wrong i think they are great cars but just dont like the wings on them even though they are functional. I bet there are other types of wings that will do the same thing for the everyday driver and dont look so enormous

Old 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
1st Gear

Both are nice cars. As the others have mentioned, the STi is a bit quicker. There is a top gear video (I think it was top gear), where the compared a b6 s4, STi and an EVO 8. The EVO was the clear winner. The s4 and the STi were very close, but I believe the STi came up a little bit ahead. Granted, a b6 s4 is not the same as a b5, but it gives you something else to go by. If you search for "top gear s4 evo sti" or something like that, you should be able to find it. Honestly though, I would rule out the STi. If anything other than the s4 I would get an EVO. They are really sweet cars. A guy at my work has an EVO 8 and is putting down 350whp on stock turbo with no issues at all. He runs about a 12 flat. He's had some more aggressive cams put in there, piggy back system, exhaust, some other minor things...really sweet ride.

Old 04-11-2007, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

there both amazing cars i owned a slightly moded sti before i bought my s4. i didnt like the power difference when i switched over but the s4 hyad alot more amenities then the sti. i wanted leather and when i would show up to different job sites it kinda looked like i was in a ricerand still a young kid . now with the audi i get alot more respect like im a sophisticated young man. i put a few mods in my s4 when i sold my sti to a good friend. when i race him still its about 50/50 but he hasnt masterd the stick.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:44 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

ORIGINAL: myaudi98
Asking in a audi forum..... hmmmmmmmm ummmm S4.

Plus the Sti wing screams rice
Agreed, asking a Audi forum, what they think of other cars, we are going to be biased.

The EVO/STI are so NOT rice! Everything on both of the car are are there for one reason, to make the car faster! There purpose built fro speed. It all goes back to WRC rules for racing. Anything that is functional & wind tunnel testes is not rice!
Ok do you really think the STI's ridiculously large and retarded "spoiler" or vertical piece of plastic really creates adequate down force that you would really need/use? Might as well attach an orange flag you would useon an ATV to it just incase other drives missed it.Seriously... look at the Lamaze cars and they are half the size and actually serve a purpose.

If you like fast and the furious and the over sized mufflers that really make a ricer look and sound just weird, than an STI or Evo is your highway. If you consider an Evo, look at the interior and then compareit to an S4. An evo's interior is pretty much some "racing seats," a few gauges and a stick shift.... oh and a steering wheel with nothing but a horn. An S4 will give you leather, steering wheel controls, and a lot more comfort features all with a better looking dash, and dont forget the heated seats. But I'm sure you would impress your chinese friends with an STI or Evo.

Sorry I had to go off... By the way I sure hope you were kidding 2k S4. By the way if you buy an STI, correct me if I'm wrong, you'll be driving a Sexually Transmitted Infection. Now hows that for your ego [8D]

Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Woodhead2k
Ok do you really think the STI's ridiculously large and retarded "spoiler" or vertical piece of plastic really creates adequate down force that you would really need/use? Might as well attach an orange flag you would use on an ATV to it just incase other drives missed it. Seriously... look at the Lamaze cars and they are half the size and actually serve a purpose.

If you like fast and the furious and the over sized mufflers that really make a ricer look and sound just weird, than an STI or Evo is your highway. If you consider an Evo, look at the interior and then compare it to an S4. An evo's interior is pretty much some "racing seats," a few gauges and a stick shift.... oh and a steering wheel with nothing but a horn. An S4 will give you leather, steering wheel controls, and a lot more comfort features all with a better looking dash, and dont forget the heated seats. But I'm sure you would impress your chinese friends with an STI or Evo.

Sorry I had to go off... By the way I sure hope you were kidding 2k S4. By the way if you buy an STI, correct me if I'm wrong, you'll be driving a Sexually Transmitted Infection. Now hows that for your ego [8D]
I'm dead serious. The wings (not spoilers) are there for a reason. YES, they do create downforce, & more importantly, stabilize the car at speed, & really help with antilift. I can find the article out on the web, but it shows the wind tunnel test of the EVO & STI. With the smoke going over the body & the amount of downfoce at each corner. THey clean up the airflow, create downforce, & make the car safer & more stable. There up that high to catch the most airflow over the top of the car.

People used to say the same things about my E30 M3. That is had a big ugly wing. But it works!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM
1st Gear

I have heard from a couple different guys that track there sti's and they run a very slim but still high wing. They claimed that without the factory wing the car would get squirly around the high speed corners but they would run the slimmer wing cause the factory one even though created noticable downforce would create more drag and they would run slower lap time then with a slimmer model. The one guy I talked to says he hates the look of the big rice looking wing but wouldn't run the track without it cause of the loss of stability. The evo wing is alot slimmer and looks like it would cause less wind drag and actually looks cooler than the sti wing IMO. I prefer the sleek no wing look as the little ricer guys that run huge wings on there honda's have ruined it for those that actually get to utilize it. If I tracked my car I would probably bite the bullet and put a wing of some sort on and just make it possible to remove without leaving to much hardware on my trunk.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Big ugly wings ftw I guess ? ?

Old 04-13-2007, 02:35 AM
1st Gear

This is random but last night some punk threw a firework in my friends WRX hood scoop. At least the S4 wont have that problem.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 AM

oh and a steering wheel with nothing but a horn
last time I check my s4 only had a horn on the steering wheel...

EVO ftw S4 ftc (classyness)

Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 AM
2nd Gear

2k S4 you're basically saying the cars were poorly designed and to easily fix the Jap's error they slapped an enormous piece of plastic with two supports on the trunk. If the car was created properly it wouldn't have this problem. Now it would have this problem if it was making over 700hp and 1000ft/lbs. of torque as pretty much any car would have just because of the excess of power and spinning the wheels. If a car gets squirlly with less than 300hp on a launch, I'm sorry but something is wrong.

Look at a lot of super cars. They have ridiculous power yet most do not have spoilers. A Mclaren F1 for a while was the fastest car during its time and the street version did not have a spoiler, the streetSaleen S7 doesnt have have one, not even a Z06 has a spoiler. If all these cars that are capable of taking turns at high speeds do not have "wings," it would make sense a little ricer would not require one to function properly. The down force that it may create should really only have an effect at high speeds during cornering or traveling 140+. But the car would probably over or under steer a corner before the spoiler would really serve a purpose and they would take a while to reach 140 if it weren't heavily modded. Watched the shows Pinks on Speed T.V. tonight and I not one of the 9 second cars used a "wing."