S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 second gear pops out

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:23 AM
1st Gear
Default S4 second gear pops out

Hey guys,

In the past couple months the second gear on my 2005 S4 started to pop out when I ease off the accelerator. This does not happen in any other gear just 2nd. Any ideas? Please let me know. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 PM
2nd Gear

Did you recently replace the clutch or have a short shifter installed? And is there a certain rpm which it slips out usually?

Old 10-25-2009, 02:34 PM
1st Gear

No there was no work done to to the clutch/short shifter. This usually happens around 2000/1500 rpms.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

That's about the rpm in which your input and output shaft are rotating at the same rate, it's common for a lot of cars at a particular point to be very easy to pop out of gear; but not do it by itself.

It's most likely an issue with your linkage, linkage stop, or, hopefully not, your synchronizer. If I remember correctly, the 4.2L tranny was based on the Porsche 996 model Gegrag transmissions, and they have a common issue with 2nd gear popping out (I believe a law suit was made against Porsche). It's hard to say without seeing the problem, so I would just do some research and find out if anyone has a similar problem. Maybe someone on here has.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input.
I called the dealer and they told me that it could be the synchro. This morning deciding to do more test on the transmission, I noticed that when I try to downshift into second at a higher speed it will not engage, I have to wait till the speed reduces to engage second. They two issues could be related, but without getting it checked out can't really say.

Last edited by stasAudi; 10-26-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear

Yeah, it could definitely be the synchro in that case. Be sure not to force it into gear too much when downshifting. It's nice to get used to rev matching or heel and toe if you're braking at the same time. Good luck with everything though.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 AM
1st Gear

Mott,

Do you think this is something that I need to get addressed ASAP or can I put this off for a while as long as I don't down shift or try to force the car into second. I had this problem for a couple months now and am able to manage it, however I don't want this to escalate to a bigger issue.

Thanks again for all your feedback,
Mike

Old 10-27-2009, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear

Not a problem, Mike.

You should be alright for a while as long as you don't put a lot of force on the gear when up-shifting or down-shifting. Another possibility is that it's not the synchronizer itself but the slider which engages the synchronizer. Again, it could be something fairly simple as a bad linkage but it's better to be safe until you can have it looked at.

It's hard to say without seeing the car or anything. Just baby it for now and I wouldn't think anything serious would happen.

-Adam

Old 10-28-2009, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Thank you Adam.

I'll have the dealer look at it this weekend just so that I know where I stand. Again thanks for all your help.

Mike

Old 10-28-2009, 05:04 PM

one other thing that just maybe..one of those ya never know things, double check your tranny mounts

Quick Reply: S4 second gear pops out