S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 Longevity? (not turbo related)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Default S4 Longevity? (not turbo related)

I have a good buddy who has a higher mileage bone stock S4 that has been very well maintained. I have always been a Honda guy, but after driving this car for a week I really love the car. I have read all the FAQ's and I understand about the turbos, etc. With that said, what is the normal life expectancy of a well taken care of S4? do these cars typically go to 200k?

My buddies car is a 2000 with about 115k on the clock.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:01 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: S4 Longevity? (not turbo related)

If you take care of an S4, you shouldn't have any major issues with getting 200k or more miles out of it.

With regard to your honda, get the S4! You'll love it, they're a blast to drive. Look for 2001.5 - 2002, you're chances of the turbos being a problem are lower in these years due to the increase in oil line diameter.

In the end, you might end up with more maintenance on the S4, but your Honda will never perform like the Audi, hands down -- it's worth the extra expense, especially if you learn to DIY.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:56 AM
2nd Gear

They will last a long time (as in miles)as long as you do all the maintenance. Maintenance can cost quite a bit of $$. Some people don't have too much problems with it since I've heard 120k+ miles on original wheel bearings! controls arms won't last as long in the NE or anywhere there are crappy roads.
Keep the honda around when the S4 is in the shop! lol
I got my car back with a ton of work done to it and there is still things to fix! haha

Old 05-06-2008, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: meatbiscuit

If you take care of an S4, you shouldn't have any major issues with getting 200k or more miles out of it.

With regard to your honda, get the S4! You'll love it, they're a blast to drive. Look for 2001.5 - 2002, you're chances of the turbos being a problem are lower in these years due to the increase in oil line diameter.

In the end, you might end up with more maintenance on the S4, but your Honda will never perform like the Audi, hands down -- it's worth the extra expense, especially if you learn to DIY.
Can the earlier S4's (2000) use the larger oil lines?

How do the AWD systems hold up? Are transfer cases, etc common to go bad?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: jbilliel

yup
http://www.4induktion.com/catalog/pr...1c8b9209a7e5e0

Old 05-06-2008, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear

You can use an aftermarket oil line as sweeds pointed out, but, you have to take out the engine to do the swap. If you're going to go to that much trouble, you might as well just upgrade your turbos to the K04's. Yes, it's going to cost you a couple grand, but it will be worth it in the end. The K04 turbos are much more reliable than the stock K03s, plus once you have the K04s, you're almost set to go stage 3 with the addition of fueling and a tune. Then you can start cranking out some serious HP.

This is not mandatory, some people might go through the life of the vehicle without doing a turbo swap, it just depends. I wouldn't worry too much about it, get your S4 and if you're unlucky enough to have to do a turbo swap soon after buying, that will give you a good excuse to go stage 3.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:27 AM

How are the quattro systems as far are reliability goes? Any issues to be worried about?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
2nd Gear

Quattro is pretty reliable, it's bee around for a long time now. You rarely hear of issues specific to it.

A couple of notes:

- The transmissions can take a pretty good sized beating. Im amazed at how much power you can put into these trannys without the gears ripping to pieces. However, some people have issues with the 1-2 synchro in the 6spd.

- The torque converter/solenoid in the tip has given some people headaches

The differentials are pretty solid, you can upgrade the center diff as well for pretty cheap if you're running the extra ponies (not necessary though, only if you want to).

Old 05-07-2008, 08:26 AM

Anything else I should be concerned about?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

Anything else I should be concerned about?
Ricers- stand clear of them and their bright orange/ green paint and blue neon lights. They will want to race, but all you need to know is how is always plays out :
You will race, you will win, you will win by at least10+ cars, you will slow down, they will drive by you like you are still racing, they will go in IntegraRicerForum.com and brag how they beat an S4.

Stuff that goes bad: tubro's, wheel bearing, CA's TRE's, timing belt err 70K, miss shift2nd and screw upyour syncho's,and some other stuff which is prob in the FAQ.