S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 ENGINE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: S4 ENGINE PROBLEMS

When you say hesitation...is it a lag until power comes on...or is it a situation where the engine is misfiring?
The drive by wire throtle seems to have about a .4 of a second delay when you punch it...is this what you are feeling?

Old 08-02-2005, 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: dspete

The saga continues with Audi....The car went in for 1 week and they stated it was a loose manifold...wrong.....now its a CAM lifter that is faulty......Well it has been two weeks now and my car has been at the dealrship waiting to be repaired but a part is missing and that part is not in the US nor Germany and no expected arrival date.....now this is where it gets good.....first, they don't know if they need to pull the engine to install the new cam lifter and second they don't know how they will replace the part because they do not have the tool to replace it nor cannot find out where to purchase the tool......so.....my car is dead in the water with no immediate resolution.....and today the service rep said point blank..........it's gong to be a while to fix this....

Audi Customer Advocates at AOA are horrible.....unfriendly......do not own up to anything......do not help nor make me feel comfortable about the situation......and quite frankly, they just suck in terms of service and helpfulness.....NOW i'm pissed...

I will always love Audi the car, but do not car much for its people except for my service rep who is awesome and honest....

Fist resolution, get me a new S4 for end of next week, or Second....I will sue Audi for my time, money, and horrible experience and go get a new C55 AMG...

IMOLAS4 I BITCHED UP A HUGE STORM AFTER BEING POLITE FOR TWO WEEKS.......THEY DO NOT WANT TO HELP IN ANYWAY.......

Call their press office (the office that deals with the automotive media; just run a Google search for phone and e-mail) and inform them that unless you get satisfaction, you're going to go to the media and tell your story (consumer advocate reporter) in your location and theirs (Audi's US HQ is outside Detroit). Trust me, they'll get it done.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
1st Gear

Abacab - I think it may just be that 0.4s lag you're describing. I'm not really sure what engine misfiring would feel like. THe acceleration and power are there, it's just a slight delay before it kicks in. I hadn't really notcied it, but have just recently become more aware.

Old 08-02-2005, 04:55 PM
2nd Gear

Yep...that is it...that delay is built into the DBW - ECU systems. There has been lots of debate on this, but I think the consensus is that Audi programmed the ecu for more 'driveability' and sacrificed some of the raw performance...

I have also read that the DBW-ECU 'learns' how you drive and makes some adjustments....not sure that is noticable or not. And there is information on how to reset your DBW to have it 'unlearn' I've tried it, but it did not seem to make any difference.