S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 ENGINE PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 06:20 PM
1st Gear
Default S4 ENGINE PROBLEMS

I own an Audi S4 2004 with just about 4000 miles on it. Has anyone else experienced engine problems? I have heard about 50 S4's sucking in valves caused by a bad valve spring which resulted in a new engine from Germany. I am currently having an issue with idle where cylinders 2 and 7 missfire when car is in drive and hovering at about 750 RPM. Audi today does not have an answer from US or Germany but the prelim is to replace the engine and put me out of my S4 for 28+ days. This could be the sign of another design flaw or flaw in a part, and if anyone has some insight, I would appreciate a reply, especially if anyone here was one of the 50 who had their engine replaced. All in all, I love the car but gonna be heart broken if its gone for over a month.

Old 06-29-2004, 06:56 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: S4 ENGINE PROBLEMS

I heard of those initial problems and thought they were resolved. Your car's problem may be part of the same issue.
Didn't they give you more info re: the misfire? I would think they would have more info at their disposal.

Old 06-29-2004, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

Nothing yet....just the fact that they had to get Germany on the phone and review the computer logs. Sounds like something they have never experienced before especially with a new engine. Car is still awaiting the final diagnosis, but it's looking meek...Time to call Audi Customer Advocate..Can't have $55,000 car breakdown after 3 months...then have it in the shop for another month.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:24 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: dspete

Nothing yet....just the fact that they had to get Germany on the phone and review the computer logs. Sounds like something they have never experienced before especially with a new engine. Car is still awaiting the final diagnosis, but it's looking meek...Time to call Audi Customer Advocate..Can't have $55,000 car breakdown after 3 months...then have it in the shop for another month.
Definitely... call AoA.

Old 07-01-2004, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Problem supposedly solved......
Two screws holding down the manifold were finger tight.....Means they came off the production line that way.....
Two new screws, torqued down properly.....no more vacuum causing the misfire....

Old 07-05-2004, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

BIGGER ISSUE......problem still not solved after I got the car back from the dealership.....S4 engine still has a major problem after only 4000 miles (Pistons 4 & 7 misfire at idle)....Not to mention a lady I ran into at the dealership got rid of her S4 for a new TT until the S4 2005 comes out because her engine and transmission failed and she stated that she saw two other s4's on the side of the road with engine issues......This is not looking good....

Old 07-06-2004, 03:17 AM
3rd Gear

Call AoA.

Didn't you do this already???
This is a waste of your time without AoA involved. Bitch and complain politely; they'll get on the issue immediately. Demand (politely) that they compensate you somehow for your loss of time and a car for which you paid a hefty sum.

Old 07-17-2004, 12:13 AM
1st Gear

The saga continues with Audi....The car went in for 1 week and they stated it was a loose manifold...wrong.....now its a CAM lifter that is faulty......Well it has been two weeks now and my car has been at the dealrship waiting to be repaired but a part is missing and that part is not in the US nor Germany and no expected arrival date.....now this is where it gets good.....first, they don't know if they need to pull the engine to install the new cam lifter and second they don't know how they will replace the part because they do not have the tool to replace it nor cannot find out where to purchase the tool......so.....my car is dead in the water with no immediate resolution.....and today the service rep said point blank..........it's gong to be a while to fix this....

Audi Customer Advocates at AOA are horrible.....unfriendly......do not own up to anything......do not help nor make me feel comfortable about the situation......and quite frankly, they just suck in terms of service and helpfulness.....NOW i'm pissed...

I will always love Audi the car, but do not car much for its people except for my service rep who is awesome and honest....

Fist resolution, get me a new S4 for end of next week, or Second....I will sue Audi for my time, money, and horrible experience and go get a new C55 AMG...

IMOLAS4 I BITCHED UP A HUGE STORM AFTER BEING POLITE FOR TWO WEEKS.......THEY DO NOT WANT TO HELP IN ANYWAY.......

Old 07-20-2004, 05:25 PM
3rd Gear

Something's wrong here...
Did you ask them to send a regional rep to see the car and file a report on your behalf? They should have the regional service agent pay the dealership a visit. Call again, ask for the supervisor, ask the supervisor for the name and number of the regional rep and insist that this matter be resolved in a timely fashion - clarify that vague replies and open time frames are not acceptable answers. Then call your finance company and notify them of the situation - ask to speak to their supervisor, too. Inquire on how you can stop payments on a car that is no longer in service. Ask if there is any provision for you since Audi is not maintaining their agreement - providing you with an operational $50,000 vehicle. If you get any hesitations from anyone, ask for the address to which a letter from your attorney should be addressed.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:30 PM
1st Gear

I have an 05 S4 Cab, about 4K miles on it. Just started noticing a hesitation on acceleration (probably less than 1/2 second, but noticeable). More pronounced at lower speeds. Doesn't sound as severe as the issue you were/are having, but I wonder if it's related?

Car's just about due for 1st maintenance, will have to have them check it out...

Quick Reply: S4 ENGINE PROBLEMS