S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Rear Wheel Bearing Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 PM
1st Gear
Default Rear Wheel Bearing Troubles

Okay, I bought this kit.... Wheel Bearing Replacement Kit

Trouble is that I have a 32" breaker bar using the correctly sized pieces from the kit, and this bearing is NOT budging! I'm afraid the removal tool or the joint on my breaker bar are going to explode! Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Anybody have experience with this tool, or any tricks that will allow me to not remove the spindle? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 PM
1st Gear

Those rear bearings are a PITA to get out. But be patient because they will come. I bought a similar kit at Harbor Freight that I used. Just to justify the difficulty of wrenching on them, I ended up stripping the threads on the kit because the force on the nut was too much.

But just get a REALLY long breaker bar like a pipe. I used a 5ft metal pipe that wouldn't bend and just kept prying on it til they gave out. And make sure the bearing you bought is working properly because I bought one from ECS tuning that must have been defective and it ended up wearing out in a few months. But I bought another from them and so far it has had no trouble KOW.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Thank you. Maybe I just need a little confidence boost. I have only been running my impact at 90 PSI, and plan on upping it in increments to 150 PSI Max. I have a pipe extension that I will try as well. Was the wheel bearing you got from ECS the *** brand? I guess the good news is that if it fails, at least it hasn't been in there long enough to really corrode/seal itself in and should be a breeze to pull back out compared to the one thats been in for 125K miles!

Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

You know what, now that I think of it I bought my bearings from an Audi dealer. So you should be fine. And yea that pipe extension really does help. It'll probably just turn then pop, turn then pop, turn then pop, until it comes out. Just be sure to use the right size spacer when pushing it in. Don't want to push on the middle of bearing cause it will screw up the seal and bearings (even though you probably knew that).

And just a tip, put your new bearing in the freezer for a night and leave it until right before you put it in. Might give you that little bit of leeway to fit it in easier.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 AM
2nd Gear

ive done a number of these bearings, on my car and others.. just get a good 1/2" breaker bar, and like the man said.. a good 5-7' extension pipe on the bar and set it on the ground.. and break it loose.. air/electric impact WILL NOT take these axle nuts/bolts out..

Old 02-11-2011, 12:06 PM
1st Gear

The "turn then pop, turn then pop", was subtly understated in your comment above. It's more like a turn then POP! Holy WTF just broke, was that my arm coming out of socket? Something is broken for sure!!!! Turns out that all was good and a few more of these "pops" that sound like a gunshot, and it finally came out. I would venture that these had not been done for a LONG time, but the car did live in Indiana, and had a bit of surface corrosion around that area. Anyway, success! Thank you for your support!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:24 PM
2nd Gear

I take my spindle to good year and have it popped out and put back in for 20 bucks... I did mine about 6 months ago and it seems like i need it done again WTF