S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Really bad Squeeling noise, sounds like murder, Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Really bad Squeeling noise, sounds like murder, Any ideas?

I have a 2001 6 speed s4 and lately the car has been making this really terrible squeeling noise when turning the steering wheel at a low speed. I was thinking possibly a belt or my power steering pump? I checked my hydraulic fluid and it seems to be fine. Does anyone know what this could be?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM
1st Gear

My power steering pump makes a clicking noise whenever under pressure. It bugs the crap out of me but its a brand new pump! Squeeling sounds more like a belt problem to me.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear

Yea thats what I was thinking too but it only has 79000 miles on it, i dont beat on her at all only mods I have is a JHM shortshifter and the darintake. From what ive read you do the timing belt tensioner water pump etc around 90k and the steering belt is in that kit as well correct me if im wrong because im not 100%. I do have the timing belt kit from already from ecs tuning so it may have 1 in there.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

Yea I'd change that timing belt etc etc as soon as possible. People usually change around 70,000 just in case. Mine was changed at 76,000 and then I changed again at 140,000 miles. I bought my kit from ECS tuning too and the belt was included in there. Its honestly not a hard job to do. I thought the hardest part was keeping the cams aligned (without using the tool) and disconnecting/reconnecting the coolant hoses. Changing the valve cover gaskets seemed like a harder job.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

yea I guess thats what I have to do at this point, however I dont have the ***** to do a timing belt job myself because ive never done one before and wouldn't know where to start after removing the bumper. However thanks for the info and Ill probably be setting up an appointment soon to have it done, im very nervous the noise im hearing could be screwing something else in my engine up.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 AM
1st Gear

Yea, the belt could possibly put wear on the other mechanisms under the load of the accessory belt. Hopefully this is just a warning from your car that the timing belt and waterpump need changed before serious damage is done.

Theres a write up I followed exactly that stepped me through the process. Super easy. Here it is just in case you need it:

http://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum/...-belt-diy.html

Plus it'd save you a LOT of money doing it yourself. But if you're not comfortable doing it then I don't blame you for taking it in. Its like surgery on your car.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:53 PM
2nd Gear

i've got that same god awful sound coming from my car when turning at low speeds like parallel parking or making a 3 point turn. the more i turn the louder it gets. I just did the ecs ultimate timing belt kit about 3000 miles ago and that did not cure the noise. i think it might be the power steering pump. I'm gonna do a power steering fluid flush this weekend and then replace the pump if that doesn't work.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

damn that sucks man, let me know if the flush fixes the problem because if it does i think I will do that ASAP

Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 PM

i have the same issue too...i flushed it out and the sound went away for about a week. the fluid was a nasty brown color. the sound is back now and the fluid is dirty looking again...i never cleaned the filter because i didnt know how. im planning on redoing it again very soon but i might just replace the pump if i have the time/money

Old 04-08-2009, 07:55 PM
3rd Gear

PS pump. Mine was squeeling badly last year, i added some pentosin CHF11S and its all good now.

Quick Reply: Really bad Squeeling noise, sounds like murder, Any ideas?