S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

prospect owner with questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:24 AM
Default prospect owner with questions

okay guys, got a load of questions. im looking at a 2000 S4 wit hall the bells and whistles. it has under 50000 miles and is completely stock. the dealership i am gettting it from is a high end dealership that sell mostly MB, but has some bentleys, and even a SLR McLaren. so i am assuming this car would be in good working order. the questions i have start with the obvious "problems" i see everyone complaining about. i am currently in school to be an x-ray tech. and in no position to dump loot in frequent repairs. so being that the car is stock, and under the assumption that it was not driven to hell, would it be a sound investment.
question #2:If i leave this car in its pure stock form and myself dont drive it into the ground, will it be reliable enough for me to get through school at which point i can afford to play.
question #3: what do i look for when doing the pre-purchase walk through. like obvious signs of abuse, repairs, and problems to come. not only problems i might see, but stuff i can hear or feel while test driving. have already talked to the bank and insurance company, so it is seriously on the table. just researching all the aspects of the car as an investment. basically, do the pros outweigh the cons?
-matt

Old 10-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: prospect owner with questions

the plus side is youve got a really low mileage on there...
you are however approaching the time where u probably want to have the timing belt / water pump replaced..

since its a 2000 common issues include: f-hose, Throttle body boot, & Diverter valves...

The S4 is a great car... I'm still in love w/ it everytime I drive it. But it does have moments where
I cant blv the amount of $$ I dumped into it for diagnostics / repairs etc. etc.

you can save alot of cash if u can do some of the work urself...

heres a few links to keep handy...

CLICK

Click here too...

Good luck !

Old 10-21-2006, 08:40 AM
1st Gear

We seem to be getting a lot of these reliability questions lately. This is not an inexpensive car to own. I would recommend something else while you are in school. The car is great, but expensive. My 2c.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:54 PM

i appreciate the opinion fourDs. but i am willing to make some sacrafice for this car. what i am asking is what to look for prior to buying and what should i expect to replace even under normal driving?

Old 10-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

THats the thing.... as 4ds said, it is a relatively expensive car to own (imo)
and thing is - theres no telling what could go wrong.

Ive done all the preventative stuff.. dont drive her into the ground,
yet there are always little issues that pop up here & there.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:56 AM
2nd Gear

i'd say get it, you seem smart enough to take care of her, and knowledgable enough to do some of the smaller reliability mods yourself if need be

Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Site Moderator

fourd's is just bitter cause he had issues recently .... Honestly its hit or miss..you could be paying a lot as some of us have experienced... or else you may have a good experience and not have to pay a lot.. i have a more heavily modified car and have had very few problems...

Old 10-22-2006, 08:36 AM
1st Gear

yes, a bit bitter...my car kicked me in the *****...