S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Problems with 01 s4 not quite sure what culprit is.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Problems with 01 s4 not quite sure what culprit is.

This happened basically out nowhere so it's crazy to me...

Car is at 126k miles now,
My second gear is completely locked up... I can not get into second what so ever. When it first started I tried to shift into second and it was like something was blocking it... Then It became very hard to shift into 1st.. I'm guessing it's a broken sync ro but I'm not sure... I drove it home and just parked till I could get it to the mechanic to take a look. I drove it there and they put it up on a lift and said they couldn't see what the problem is and will have to drop the trans out to get to the problem.. Took back home to wait for my appointment to bring it back, now I have another problem after they looked at it, guessing my clutch is slipping but unsure.. When I take off 1st gear is fine, have to skip second.. Third I'm starting to take off and at about 2400 rpm it shoots up to 5500 like I'm riding the clutch, but I wasn't on the clutch yet no burning smell either, then the rpms went down and kind of evened out and continued to go up in speed, this happens when I give it a lot of gas as such for a take off, lots of rpm but no speed? So yea very confused.. Any advise? Quote from mechanic to drop the trans To find the problem was 150 for labor, but I don't want To do that if it's going to be more than 1500 for now cause that's all I got... Some help or tips/advise? Thanks

Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 AM
2nd Gear

first and second syncros are a common weak point on this car. It is also possible that your clutch is on its way out. You might just have to drop the tranny, which is easiest by pulling the engiine, I'm amazed at the guys who pull it out without taking out the engine.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

Yea they want to put it up on the lift and take out the tranny by dropping everything down instead of taking out the engine. They said it would take 2 hours just to drop the tranny, and that it's 150 bucks just to drop it without fixing the problem

Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear

sounds to me like your 1-2 shift collar is broken. i can save you time and money. get a new tranny, or get a jhm rebuild kit and a stage 3 clutch kit and do it all at once.

ok.. maybe i didnt save you money but i def saved you some time. lol....

for sure though, your going to have to do this all. just do it in one fell swoop..

Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 PM
1st Gear

At this moment in don't think I have enough for a whole new tranny.. What is the best way to fix this problem for under 1500? I'm looking for the simple fix right now, don't get new promotion for a few months. I just wanna rebuild what I had, how much you think it will cost for the repairs?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
1st Gear

Short update... I brought my car into a imports mechanic, they said that I have internal transmission damage and that if the problem is bad I need to replace the whole tranny. They quoted me 3750 for a used tranny and 6000 with a new one, that also includes a Clutch replacement. Is this good or should I look for a new location?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

Depends on where you live, but you might be able to get a cheaper one that than. If it is actually the synchros give shokan or force five a call and maybe they can get you the bits you need on the cheap.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:08 AM
2nd Gear

if you are patient, look up in the classifieds and on audizine classifieds. i found a JHM rebuilt tranny for 1500 shipped to me.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 AM
1st Gear

you should def be able to find a tranny cheap alot cheaper than what that shop quoted you. theres no way in hell id pay that much for that work get yourself a tranny(check the classifields on audi forums and others and craigslist) then call up some buddies and do it yourself in 1 night if your not lazy it shouldnt be much of a big deal good luck

Old 08-17-2010, 03:50 PM
1st Gear
Default thx

aight thanks guys, i ended up getting a new oem clutch and a tranny with installation and labor for 3500. thanks for the advice people!

Quick Reply: Problems with 01 s4 not quite sure what culprit is.