S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Power Gains?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:12 AM
Default Power Gains?

Just curious, anyone have any data supporting the power changes of having a lightweight flywheel on a chipped s4 (b5). What kind of power am I looking at (#'s wise). I am aware that it frees up some power at the dtrain but I just wanted someone to throw a reasonable number at me.

Gracias..

Old 12-05-2006, 01:57 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Power Gains?

LTW FW do NOT MAKE ANY MORE HP!
What they do is free some of it up, with lower rotating mass.

There really isn't a lot there, what they do is, let the engine rev faster, better throttle response,
better heal toe downshift.

There used to be some conversion for lbs loss= hp @ the wheels
Don't quote me, but I think it's came out to about 3lbs for 1hp.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:27 AM

HAHAH I understnad they dont make more HP. If you read correctly I was wondering what kind of power was free'd up...3 hp mmm nice.

THANKS FOR THE CAPS!

Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 PM
1st Gear

idk how to convert it for audi, but i know with bmws its 10lbs lost = 1 hp. as for unsprung weight (ie a wheel) 1lb = 1/2hp i believe i forget about that one.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:10 PM

i have a customer of mine with a RS4 clutch with a lightweight custom machined flywheel, the difference was instantly noticeable and it felt like it was at least 10 whp faster throught the entire band. Heres the ringer, he hates the setup just because of the Flywheel, the chatter shounds like crap.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:21 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: rayveedub

i have a customer of mine with a RS4 clutch with a lightweight custom machined flywheel, the difference was instantly noticeable and it felt like it was at least 10 whp faster throught the entire band. Heres the ringer, he hates the setup just because of the Flywheel, the chatter shounds like crap.

Yes, chatter sucks on a street car.

A lot of times the car "feels" faster due to the faster engine spooling, & better throttle response.

I would never put in a LWT FW & expect any real power to the wheels. It's the throttle response & free
revving that makes it worth it.

Most of the time, on the Dyno, you can't even see the added power.

I always think it's funny when people can no longer drive the car with a ltw FW. They keep stalling it.
My old BMW M3, had a 12lbs FW & a LTW clutch, people always wanted to drive it, I told then you can
drive it till you stall it. Well most people never got far. In fairness it also had a dog leg trans, so
people thought 1st was 2nd.[]

Old 12-06-2006, 07:50 PM

the chatter is really annoying...

i've only stalled her twice since having it installed...both times the red hot chili peppers were blasting through my speakers my whole mindset was thrown off...damn rhcp

and ya i notice some nice throttle response...

thanks for the responses

Old 12-06-2006, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear

wtf at "dog leg" 2k s4?

Old 12-06-2006, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Mott Power

wtf at "dog leg" 2k s4?
It was a Euro close ratio race trans.
With this shift pattern....

R 2 4
/- |-|
1 3 5

Old 12-07-2006, 04:14 AM
2nd Gear

ltwfw is great - revs much quicker - thus into power band quicker - sometimes you have to watch it going waay to quickly into the red though - really frees up the engine IMO. Clutch engagement is trickier - I've only stalled out once that I can remember but sometimes its a bit rough...others have a hard time with it. When i go back and forth between my BMW (also has ltwtfw and its really light & smooth)and the Audi it really takes some getting used too - engagement is much different and you can feel the clutchmaster in the Audi clamp down hard. It actually has been slipping just a bit when powering down in the cold - but just happened a few times. I think the ltwtfw really brings the engine alive - highly recommended. BTW - 1st one they put in had a tremendous amount of chatter (and shake) - they replaced it and the new one has very little if any (just on engagement at times - a clamp down shdder - not sure if its even chatter). First fw was damaged/out of alignment in some way before it even when into the car.

Quick Reply: Power Gains?