S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Painted my wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear
Default Painted my wheels

Name:  BlackRims001.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  220.0 KB

Name:  BlackRims003.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  BlackRims009.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  131.3 KB

Name:  BlackRims016.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  144.4 KB

Name:  BlackRims017.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  146.9 KB

Name:  BlackRims018.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  149.6 KB

Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear

I still have to do the plastic center caps, but I kind of like them without caps. Maybe I can get some A4 gray audi caps with rings to snap in the center of my wheel but leave the lugs exposed. I've seen it done and it looks good. Otherwise I want to paint the caps black, and paint the gray inner ring red. Then do my brake calipers in red when I change my brake pads.

The car will be lowered in the spring, but the driveway at my new house is a curb, I hit it hard one day when I first moved here and bottomed out and knocked the bumper off it's mount on the front right side (you can see in the pic with the car back by the garage). The bumper has to come off for the timing belt replacement so hopefully it can be re-aligned. I think it's just not seated to the clips right, but I can't get it on and I don't want to break it so I'll leave it to the pros. If not, it's an excuse to get an RS4 from bumper. I'm getting the RS4 grill soon, and then I'll be removing the orange reflectors from the headlights to make them clear like the european model lights. I'm not too fond of the clear sidemarkers on the front fenders, I'm tempted to smoke them out, or have them removed and the fender patched, but we'll see. At least they aren't orange. I'm also toying with the idea of smoking out the rear tail lights but taping off the clear part of the reverse light so it will still shine bright. I've seen it on some S4's and it looks good.

My tint is 5% as well. I guess you can say my car is murdered out now. It will look better when I put some tire shine on it. I need to respray the front left wheel, and the one on the back left is my spare. It got dark and I have one more wheel to paint still.

Oh well it turned out pretty good I think. I'm still getting used to it, but I do like it. Got some compliments today at the base. One of the gate guards thought it was bad *** car, he liked it even more when I told him it was twin turbo.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM

I love it! It's stealthy!
I like the way it looks in your sig to though, clean & classy.
Either way it's an s4 so of course it looks bad ***.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:25 PM

dude those look real good props wat kinda paint did u use? what brand? clearcoat? looks sick

Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 PM
2nd Gear

not crazy about the gloss black... but thats me. ..lol.. looks better than my ****... way better.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:41 PM
1st Gear

looks awsome about to do my s4 wheels this week too i bet your neighbor does his liberty wheels next haha

Old 11-06-2008, 01:00 AM
2nd Gear

Looks great! Like the shinny black vs. a matte, I wonder how a small small silver lip would loop to kind of accent the window trim?

Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

I was thinking about doing the lip of the wheels in red. But I'm not sure how to do it without having to tape off the whole wheel. Plus some of my wheels have scraped lips.

I used the flat black duplicolor wheel paint you get at Auto Zone. It's like $6.00 per can. I bought 3 but still have 1 can left and just need to do one more wheel. I also bought one can of duplicolor wheel clear coat. I washed the wheels with dish soap to remove any wax. Then I used some fine sandpaper to scuff the wheels, then used a prep cloth made of synthetic instead of a brillo pad. I then washed the wheel again to get all the dust off them. Then I dried them well and let them sit in the sun for 20 minutes. Then I stuck notecards around the edge of the wheel, put on about 3 coats of paint (2 light and one wet coat). Letting them dry 20 minutes in between coats. Then I put on the clear coat, about 2 or 3 thick coats. Then I let it dry for an hour, and when I put them back on I didn't touch the wheel, only the tire (hard to do the back rims, apparently the car only locks the front axle in park). I let them sit overnight and dry on the car. But they were dry to the touch before I mounted them back on the car.