S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Opportunity on B5 S4 for around $4k - issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:58 PM
2nd Gear

you should be able to pull the code with an OBD 11 scanner, it just may not give specifics. thats the whole thing with OBD 11 is its compliant with the federal government. if its a manufacturer specific code it should still give you the number that you can look up later. if nothing is coming up then you have a blown fuse, or as stated.. another problem.. and vag-com is awesome, you just dont have to have it to pull codes.. but i would suggest it to anyone with an audi/vw...

Old 07-27-2009, 07:44 AM

Good points everyone. The kid is anxious to unload it. I might take another look and check the fuses and test run it.

What worries me is he started it and I noticed that the temp gauge was already warm, meaning he had run it before I got there. Then he mentions this is the first time he has run it in weeks, okay, yeah right...

I do know for a fact that OBDII readers will catch all codes even brand specific, just won't define brand codes. All codes 1 - 999 are generic, 301 is coil pack on cylinder 1, 123 is throttle positioning sensor, etc. So, by law, cars after 96 OBDII scanner should read codes without a problem.

No, the car is completely stock. No chipping, remapping or exhaust. Also, he has no history on the WP and timing belt, so that would have to be address. Good advice.

Thanks everyone. I knew I came to the right place.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dsm810
Good points everyone. The kid is anxious to unload it. I might take another look and check the fuses and test run it.

What worries me is he started it and I noticed that the temp gauge was already warm, meaning he had run it before I got there. Then he mentions this is the first time he has run it in weeks, okay, yeah right...

I do know for a fact that OBDII readers will catch all codes even brand specific, just won't define brand codes. All codes 1 - 999 are generic, 301 is coil pack on cylinder 1, 123 is throttle positioning sensor, etc. So, by law, cars after 96 OBDII scanner should read codes without a problem.

No, the car is completely stock. No chipping, remapping or exhaust. Also, he has no history on the WP and timing belt, so that would have to be address. Good advice.

Thanks everyone. I knew I came to the right place.
So, did you mean no chip/exhaust in your first post then? I'm still confused.

Either way, I would make scanning for codes your first priority. Do whatever you need to do, buy a VAG cable (ebay), rosstech, borrow one, whatever -- but I would not buy a car in that condition that has existing known issues without first seeing what other secrets the ECU is holding for you.