S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Opinion on this S4 before I buy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Opinion on this S4 before I buy!

Direct Link: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2215182256.html
Black 2000 Audi S4 2.7TT 6Sp Manual with 116,400 miles
Carfax Info:
Title: Clean, Zero Issues/Accidents/Etc
3 Owners (All within state):
1) Owned 9 years @ 11,000 miles a year... Regular checks every 3 months with regular maintance done at Audi Dealer
2) Owned 14 Months @ 8,100 miles a year... Only records for Emissions: Fail/Pass same day
3) Owned 6 Months @ under 3,000 since last report... No records (Current Owner/Seller)
Direct information from seller: (him/he = seller)
I specifically asked him about the Waterpump, seeing there was nothing listed about it in the sale post, and he stated that the previous owner had changed it 15,000 miles ago. I questioned him again because there was no report on the carfax and asked if he had any paperwork or contact with the previous owner and he said prior to him buying it the previous owner showed him pictures of the swap when it was being done. There is no records on the carfax about the swap being done and although he is specific, how much can I trust the seller with something this important? Owner #1 had 7 inspections checks/maintanence between 70k - 80k at the dealership, this would be something they would check at the dealer at that time, correct? The current seller is selling it because he is looking for a daily driver to handle the Chicago streets/living and "need something that I wouldnt care so much for as I do my S4" also considering its parked on the street with no garage...
It appears the Owner #1 was an adult driver just driving an Audi... Owner #2 was the Audi enthusiast of the bunch, current owner purchased it with modifications done already... With that said, based on the parts list listed in his for sale post it appears that that owner #2 seemed to know what he was doing: Not only does he have it chipped but also has supporting mods for the Chip and known reliable brands to boot, didnt seem to skimp: Venair Throttle Body Hose (Im assuming hes refering to Bi-Pipes) and upgraded APR Diverter Valves, AWE Boost Gauge... Intake with Heatsheild (which is Key part of it), Hawk Pads with cross/drilled Rotors(overkill for DD) ... Little things foresay, but things that lead me to believe that owner #2 knew what they were doing with that car, cared for it and didn't skimp... Current owner just seems to be car sitting haha...
Also another thing that has me wondering is the "replacing stock turbos"... He said owner #2 replaced them and was not sure why... with a well maintained low mileage car, stock turbos shouldn't be going out at 105,000 miles... right? Preventative maintanence?
I'm going to look at the car and drive it Tuesday, what do I need to look for specifically with this car knowing the above information and what are your opinions? Should I haggle on price for any specific reason especially knowing hes just looking for a Civic/Accord DD? [At list price] there is $3000-$4000 worth of parts installed (including seats which ill try to post... you'll love em or hate me...) on the car and hes asking $9000 with low miles and suspected maintanence completed...