S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

okay finally drove my first S4 home, now come the problems lol

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Default okay finally drove my first S4 home, now come the problems lol

first noise, its very intermitant. not constant. when i take a left hand turn at slow speed its makes like 5-6 rapid clicking noises until i straiten out the the wheel and goes away then ill turn again and it doesnt make any noise. it only happens occasionally. then sometimes i hear a 2 second growling noise which almost makes me think its a wheel bearing but again its not constant. could it be a bad CV joint? or maybe a control arm warn out?

next noise is when i shift i get a clunking noise when i let the clutch out almost every shift. its really annoying and it almost sounds like im dropping the clutch to fast and it still does it when let the clutch out slow. on my bmw if it makes that sound it means the guibo flex disk is worn out. do S4's have the same thing? or is it maybe the clutch going out?

lastly when ever i shut the engine off after driving or even just sitting at idle it kind of shakes pretty hard at the last second or two as the engine cuts out. it makes me think its a bad engine mount.

the car has 105k miles on it. i just got it yesterday and after a day of driving these are just a couple quirks ive noticed and im just curious how i can fix em.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like you have a bad cv joint bro. second, check your tranny mounts and motor mounts, i had mines replaced cuz i had similiar noises. people drive the **** out of these cars. try to get it up on a lift and take a look.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

I agree, the rattle noise on turns is a bad axle. They tend to need replacement around 100k on the B5. The vibration and the clunk may be related to a motor mount or transmission mount. It could cause you to feel the motor cut spark and shut down, and may also give you your thud.

Mike

Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 PM

alright this is what i figured so ill take a closer look at those. i just bought my extended warranty today, sad thing is i can take advantage of it for 60 days so hopefully it will last until then

Old 11-19-2008, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

yep cv joints click when they are going bad. As for the clunk, I'd check the trans mount, and the engine mounts. Invest $30 in an APR snub mount, it will take out some flex in your driveline.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:11 AM

yea i was researching more on the issue of the CV joint and i have a joint kit on order. looks pretty straight forward repair, something i can easily do myself. i also plan on getting the snub mount and the awe driveline stabilizer bar, h&r sways front and rear with h&r sports and bilsein sports all around. this is totally a long way down the road but the supsension is so loose compared to my bimmer its driving me nuts. onto the basic maintenance repairs first tho. has anyone done a clutch stopper for their car? i took a quick glance this morning but didnt see anywhere to put one. im thinkin an inch would be perfect