S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Notchy second gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
1st Gear
Default Notchy second gear

Hey everyone, so i have a B&M short shifter in my car, and second gear feels realllly notchy. I know that BMs tend to be notchier than the competition, but when racing, I have to throw it down as hard as i can to avoid getting tripped up. Has anyone else experienced this, any solutions?
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Notchy second gear

ever had problems with first being a little notchy, too?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

Yeah, its SUPER notchy in first, but only when downshifting. Getting there from neutral is no problem, but downshifting takes some muscle
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 AM
2nd Gear

was it any better to downshift into first when you bought the car?

only reason i ask is because the 6-speed is known for having synchro problems in first and second... very common actually, so don't shift hard into either gear, avoid heavy downshifting as well, if you find one day you can't get into second at all without having to force it in very hard then you have that problem and it usually calls for a tranny rebuild

Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 AM
1st Gear

Yeah i know that i am having synchromesh problems, cuz it grinds into second occasionally, but i didn't know that could be the reason behind the tough shifts as well
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: acamillo

Yeah, its SUPER notchy in first, but only when downshifting. Getting there from neutral is no problem, but downshifting takes some muscle
[align=left][/align]
Only when downshifting hun? How exactly do you upshift into first? Anyhow, the trans typically wont let you downshift into first if your going too fast, of course you can if you punch it hard enough. Normal issue. My dad's 01.5 S had a b/m and it was super notchin into second. made me appreciate my uuc.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:53 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, by upshift I mean shift to first from neutral, and i was thinkin about just switching it out for a stratmosphere, I heard those were nice.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 10-23-2007, 04:55 PM
3rd Gear

I have heard the same about stratmosphere, I just ordered a JHM though, they look superb.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

well if u want to rule out the synchro problem put it back to stock and see if it's still notchy

Old 10-27-2007, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

i just installed the jhm a few weeks ago. after a few days of driving and getting the shift down,ihave to say it is afantastic upgrade. they hit the nail on the head with replacing the stock plastic and rubber shift lever base with a machined one. next is the snub mount. it's supposed to help eliminate the slop in the drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Notchy second gear