S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

New S4 vs Old S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Default RE: New S4 vs Old S4

Yeah thats turbochargeing. you can hang those things down below the engine. its really hard to squeeze a s/c on the back of the engine

Old 09-10-2004, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

what is better? turbocharging or supercharging the engine?
i know that most europeans and japanese do Turbo. Mercedies is the only euro that runs supercharger. although the S600 and SL65 run tubos.
americans prefers superchargers...

Old 09-10-2004, 12:47 AM
1st Gear

well I'm a little unsure now, but I also have heard the RS4 will have biturbo V8 power around 450hp. but I don't know where the hell it all will go, seeing as how the existing 4.2 is really shoehorned in... anybody else read anything?

Old 09-11-2004, 01:26 AM
1st Gear

Well guys i ll not wait i would be rich as you i decided to do my A4 V8 bi-T

Old 09-12-2004, 02:27 PM
1st Gear

Did you read the Edmunds article in full? It said the RS4 will probably switch to a twin turbo charged V-6 3 liter.not a twin turbo v-8!!

Old 09-19-2004, 10:26 PM
1st Gear

im not making any arguments until its carved in stone.... i think its possible to twin turbo the V8 (04 S4) ...even if it involves some custom work...its worth it

Old 09-22-2004, 05:39 PM
2nd Gear

Out of the box I think there can be no question that the new B6S4 is a better - more refined car all around (engine, interior, clutch & shifter) and it has some more comfort bells & whistles. Its V8 is wicked - and sounds such and its got a great look - very muscular loking. The B5S4 is more of a sleeper (until you've lowered it, flared out the wheelwells - put in big 19"s, honing big exhaust and such...) I do prefer the B5S4 avant look to the new one though - I think the lines are a bit better - new one looks a littl chunkier where the mine is sleeker - IMO). The "old" S4 is also so easily modable to perform at least as well if not significanty better then the new one. I owned the only B6S4 I've ever run against (and me a wagon and he a sedan!) - and boy was he surprised! He repeatedly tried to pass/out accelerate me without success - I pulled on him every time at all speeds (and he couldn't keep with me in the twisties either...OK very high speeds and who knows his skill - but he was clearly trying...!).

Another thing to consider is cost. A new B6S4 is $50K+ - while a used B5S4 can be had for half that - even with pretty low milege. And that bi-Turbo is very sweet...and fun to mod and play with...and - I know I've said this before - can't go wrong with either - from a driving satisfaction viewpoint...

Old 02-15-2005, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Not a current S4 owner, but always liked them. Thinking of maybe trading for one later this year. Trying to decide between the B5 and B6. Coming from the Evo Turbo background, I've gained a lot of turbo knowledge, so I have that on my side.

Should I lean more towards the B5? I'm not looking to purchase new at this point, and don't really wanna pay $35-45k or anything. My car is probably worth close to $25 for reference. Thanks.

Guess I could test the waters to see if someone was interested in trading later.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:07 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: S4sick

and yes the exhaust will give a gain of at least 40 Hp, then the supercharger on top...think of the possibilties....god i love dreamin big
[sm=closed.gif] Are you kidding me 40 hp with an exhaust.. I don't care if you get a full exhasut system from another planet, but an exhasut wil never give you 40 hp are you kidding me, did anybody catch this, maybe 15 and that is on the turbos (not you)
. Sorry to come on a bit hard but that just blew my mind

Old 03-17-2005, 08:38 AM
1st Gear

haha seriously... where is this 40HP exhaust you speak of

Anyway... just my 2 cents. I have always owned Turbo cars, every time I sell one and think to myself ill try something new N/a or supercharged I end up test driving about 10-20 cars and saying screw it... going back to turbo. (911 is the only one I even thought about past the test drive... but the audi test drive changed that!) There is nothing like the MPG, sound, feel, and performance of a turbo or in the case of an S4 Turbos. While the new S4 looks GREAT and im sure drives even better the real question is WHY!? For 24,000 or less you can find a MINT S4 in the 30,000 mile range and with a 2 year warenty... I mean thats 70,000 miles of warenty or 2 years... not exactly a bad deal. Espically considering that the STAGE ONE ecu for the 2.7 is 310HP and 390FTLBS. I mean come on... the new S4 has 300ftlbs... and what can you do to boost that by 90? well... exhaust intake etc etc... but the point being you could pay 25k for a GREAT looking handeling car with a 2 year warenty that will SMOKE a new S4 or you could pay what? 60k for a slower chubby looking newer S4 thats more expensive to mod has less potential gets worse MPG will cost more for insurance... the list just goes on... I dont see how anyone can justify getting a new S4 when the old ones are so much better.