S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

New S4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:40 PM
1st Gear
Default New S4 owner

Hello everyone, new guy here. I just bought a 00 auto S4. I needed something to enjoy and have something for a change. Been in the Nissan world since I started driving (10 years ago).

Anyways, here is the ebay link to what I bought. I want to know your thoughts. What do you think? Good buy? Bad buy? What to look out for? Are automatics not recommended on S4? Don't be shy to tell me if ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

Since this is a completed listing (yesterday), ebay may require you to login.
Thanks!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:00 PM

they're awesome cars, but have some money on the side for maintenance and repairs, especially if it has over 100k miles. usual problems include tie rod ends, control arms, coil packs, sticky interior buttons, falling headliner, chronic misfires and boost leaks esp if you run extra boost. however, there is no better car for the money. handling, refinement, comfort and power (with a chip) are all great. it's really a driver's car.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:37 AM

kiels got the maintenance covered. has the timing belt been done? if not get that done asap. other than that if you got it for $6k...damn. mine is an 01, got it with 96k on the od, and cost me $10500. even though its an auto thats still a great price.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Thanks everyone!

I drove the car from Maryland to Kansas yesterday (a 17 hour drive). The car made it back with minimal problems. Keeping in mind, I bought this from a dealership, I was expecting some surprises.

First issue: It looks like either the ball joint or tie rod on the driver side is possibly due for replacement. When I enter or exit my drive way, the little bump makes a loose sound as if someone tapped something or tire is loose.

The second issue: brake light warning message came on the screen the first time I pressed the brake pedal along with an annoying beep. At first, I thought one of the bulbs was burnt out, so I walked back and sure enough, I didn't have parking lights. Brake lights worked (including the third brake light). So, I went to walmart, bought like 8 bulbs to replace all rear bulbs. Bad idea! I changed them all. Now I had working brake light, parking light and indicator flashers. Weird thing is, the brake lights stay on when I turn my headlights on. They do get just a touch brighter when I press my foot on the brake. Not sure what is causing this. Did I buy the wrong bulbs? They were all one filament bulbs.

Third issue: during my 1,100 mile trip back home, the check engine light came on about 500 miles since driving. I got home and used the engine code reader that I had bought from wal-mart. It gave me two codes. One was about invalid readings from both catalytic converter sensors. The other reading was about a torque converter sensor... I don't remember the complete code. I told the engine code reader to reset the check engine light and it did. Since then, I drove it to work today (10 mile one way trip) and it has not come on yet. Transmission is shifting smoothly and tiptronic works perfectly.

Fourth issue: The hazard light is not coming on. I press the button, but nothing happens.

Fifth issue: There are two buttons on the driver side seat (other than the move buttons), they don't seem to do anything.

Other than the above, nothing really. It seems I may have a leaking valve cover gasket since I smell oil burning for the first five minutes of drive, as if it is falling on a manifold and burning up. After an 1100 mile trip to home, I did not find any drops of fluid on my garage floor this morning.

I do have to say this, I LOVED the ride back home. The winding roads, the little bit of rain and how this awd handled. OMG. It was amazing. It sticks to the road and stays there. It was just awesome. Car is also loaded with all kinds of stuff, from bose to awd to moon roof to leather to xenons. So the whole trip was just awesome. Words can't describe the feeling I had at the turnpike.

Last edited by new_owner; 03-09-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
1st Gear

If it was PO741 you are gonna need a new torque converter. That code happened to me and I drove it for 6 more months but I finally talked the dealer into replacing it for me. I was threatening a law suit since it came on during the first 30 days of ownership and I had a 30 day full coverage warranty.

The torque converter will fail to lockup and you'll get less gas mileage and more heat in the transmission. The way to tell if the converter is locking up, go on the highway get up to speed. Barely push the gas, the rpms should not jump or climb drastically. If it jumps up 200+ rpms without accelerating, then you aren't locked up.

That light will come back on if it's the torque converter. That's an expensive repair. There is a seal inside the converter that fails and it will prevent the lockup function.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
1st Gear

Unfortunately, that was the code. I have driven another 30 miles or so since then. The light has not come on again. I will add it to the list in the back of my head to keep an eye on a discounted deal.

Until then, I tried to slowly increase gas like you said and it does not raise the rpms like crazy. It may just have a little bit of life left in it...

One problem down. Now I have to figure out if the timing belt has been changed.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 AM

You live down the street from me, Farhan! Haha, it's Ahmed! I'm rollin a 00 s4 6 speed TT! Hahaha, small world!!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:27 AM

Love the color, silver on white LOVE the int color. im silver on black. would have looked for 6spd if i were you thats just me, but for that price and color combo SWEET. enjoy!