S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

New S4 / new member

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 04:18 PM
1st Gear
Default New S4 / new member

New Audi Owner...just picked up a 2012 Audi S4.....have driven several in Germany (granted rental cars that dont compete with this one) love it so far ...few observations (only had car for 1 day so obviously limited)

Likes: Handling, Ride Comfort, Cockpit comfort, motor / tranny combo

Dislikes: iphone needs to be in glove box vs. center stack and no bluetooth streaming.....MMI little more effort requred than latest gen idrive in wifes x5....

Unsure: Likes to be in 7th gear at 40+ mph so when you paddle shift down you have to do it several gears....would think that in Dynamic mode it wouldnt be in such a high gear (e.g. mileage) and would be ready / in a lower gear with rpm's above 1200...may not be an issue, just havent wanted to floor it during break in to see how many gears it will downshift....

Break in: Car had 100mi on it when i picked it up so sure more than one idiot took it off the lot and got their foot into it.....i've driven it normally - not softly, not too agro....did get it to 6k rpm once or twice playing with paddle shifters...and definatley varied the speed/no constant cruise.

Pricing: Got it for 5.5k less than sticker (including $1k becasue i could prove i owned a bmw) so thinking i did reasonable...

Hoping it's as good as a car as first impressions indicate.....

Any relevant info / things to look for / tips are appreciated.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Certified

Originally Posted by jgiachino
New Audi Owner...just picked up a 2012 Audi S4.....have driven several in Germany (granted rental cars that dont compete with this one) love it so far ...few observations (only had car for 1 day so obviously limited)

Likes: Handling, Ride Comfort, Cockpit comfort, motor / tranny combo

Dislikes: iphone needs to be in glove box vs. center stack and no bluetooth streaming.....MMI little more effort requred than latest gen idrive in wifes x5....

Unsure: Likes to be in 7th gear at 40+ mph so when you paddle shift down you have to do it several gears....would think that in Dynamic mode it wouldnt be in such a high gear (e.g. mileage) and would be ready / in a lower gear with rpm's above 1200...may not be an issue, just havent wanted to floor it during break in to see how many gears it will downshift....

Break in: Car had 100mi on it when i picked it up so sure more than one idiot took it off the lot and got their foot into it.....i've driven it normally - not softly, not too agro....did get it to 6k rpm once or twice playing with paddle shifters...and definatley varied the speed/no constant cruise.

Pricing: Got it for 5.5k less than sticker (including $1k becasue i could prove i owned a bmw) so thinking i did reasonable...

Hoping it's as good as a car as first impressions indicate.....

Any relevant info / things to look for / tips are appreciated.
Good luck with your new ride! You should be able to get bluetooth through the MMI. Our 09 S5 has the feature. Is it possible it is additional ?
The salesman at the dealer set up the bluetooth when going over the car with us. Don't remember.
As far as the shifting i feel the same way. The car wants to be in as high of a gear as possible. I do like playing with the paddle shifters putting the transmission in manual mode. We have an aftermarket Milltek cat back exhaust system which gives the the car a throaty sound when down shifting.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Bluetooth streaming

I have '12 A4 - it took a week of digging through the menu but bluetooth audio connection is there and i play music via my iphone now. I think it was under the media menu. I found it when i checked the user manual and searched bluetooth, it doesnt help that its a seperate connection from the phone connection.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CLanker
I have '12 A4 - it took a week of digging through the menu but bluetooth audio connection is there and i play music via my iphone now. I think it was under the media menu. I found it when i checked the user manual and searched bluetooth, it doesnt help that its a seperate connection from the phone connection.
If you could check exactly how i would appreciate it...i cant find it in the car or in the manual or the mmi manual....maybe 12 A4 has newer gen MMI? Workaround is i bought an ipod classic and just leave in the car, but i'd still prefer to BT the iphone....so any help appreciated.

Re original post....more time on the car....love it...still think trans should be much more agressive in dynamic mode (fine in auto/comfort)....i've leared to use the paddle shifters as alternative, but still think audi should do a software update for a much more agro dynamic mode (should be relatively easy i'd think).

Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
1st Gear

from main menu
Select "Media"
now select "Settings"
Now select "Bluetooth Settings"
make sure Bluetooth is on,
Set Bluetooth Audio Player to On

Once it pairs the audio player (in my case an iphone4), it is seamless - whatever track was previously playing just starts up from where you let off. I ordered an AMI cable for the Iphone but it has not arrived yet.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:58 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by CLanker
from main menu
Select "Media"
now select "Settings"
Now select "Bluetooth Settings"
make sure Bluetooth is on,
Set Bluetooth Audio Player to On

Once it pairs the audio player (in my case an iphone4), it is seamless - whatever track was previously playing just starts up from where you let off. I ordered an AMI cable for the Iphone but it has not arrived yet.
OK, thanks for posting, but a no go for me.....there's no "Set Bluetooth Audio Player to On" option....and my bt is on as the phone works fine and is paired.....