S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

New to Audi, help with a B6 S4?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Default New to Audi, help with a B6 S4?

Hello all,
I'm looking at purchasing a new car within the next few weeks and my heart is set on a B6 S4. The only car possibly changing my decision would be a 2006 Volvo S60R. I'm no stranger to performance cars, coming from a modified 2003 Subaru WRX, but I am a noob to Audis.

Despite having researched for over a month, I'm still very nervous about reliability issues. Several people have told me that the V8 is far more reliable than the 2.7TT, but some (including a friend who is an Audi mechanic) have told me to stay away from anything newer. The main complaints were that the chain mechanism on the motors tends to fail, and even making adjustments involves pulling the motor. I don't want to have to face a several thousand dollar cost as a monthly ritual.

I am somewhat mechanically inclined, having done the turbo, injectors, and supporting mods on my WRX myself; but I don't have the means or equipment to pull a motor. If anybody has any advice for what to keep an eye on with a used B6, or can share their ownership experience, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

-Martin

Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

I'm in the same boat, buying a used B6 S4. So obviously I have no experience yet but I can share my research. The owner of the car I'm buying had his AC compressor replaced and the bill was almost $3500 due to the engine drop. However, the way I see it, you should only have to do this once. In the unlikely event that you have to drop the engine, do everything that can be done back there - timing chain tensioner, maybe AC compressor, etc - and then you should be good to go.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

I would say on average the B6 and 7 are solid cars. They have there issues but if the car had its maintenance done and regular oil changes. Chances are good the car should be to.