S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

new 2004 S4 owner, concerned with clutch and tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 AM
Default new 2004 S4 owner, concerned with clutch and tires

Hi-

I just picked up my 2004 S4 MT6 from my local Audi dealer yesterday morning and man am I loving it so far. The S4 has 41,000 miles on it and has been is a certified pre-owned vehicle. Since I picked it up I've put about 300 miles on it and I have two concerns I am hoping some more experience S4 owners can help me with;

1) The clutch engagement is very high in the travel of the clutch pedal and there is no clutch stop so the travel from clutch engagement to the floor is very very long. I am coming from driving 5spd and 6spd BMW's with custom clutch stops and very short clutch pedal travel for engagement. Also, with the clutch pedal fully depressed I feel quite a big of oscilation through the pdeal. I am concerned that maybe the clutch is near the end of it's life. How long does the stock clutch last on these vehicles? 41k miles seems way to short ??? Is this normal on a 2004? Is their anything I can do to decrease the travel after enagement/disengagement?

2) The Audi dealer, as part of the certified program, had to replace tires and they choose to only replace 3 of the 4. My understanding was that when changing tires all 4 needed to be changed, or at least changed in pairs. I do notice some excessive tire noise at highway speeds and during braking which makes me thinks the tire wear isn't even. Is this legit???

Thanks,
Z

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Default RE: new 2004 S4 owner, concerned with clutch and tires

Pic from the dealer;

Old 10-31-2007, 02:22 AM
SoCal Crew Member

41k does sounds pretty short for the clutch.... but you never know how the previous driver drove the car....
I don't think that the clutch engagement is adjustable... if it is, i wouldn't mind messing around with some different adjustments myself... i do also feel some oscillation through the pedal but it's mostly just the V8 grumble... doesn't seem to be anything i need to worry about.......i guess you could replace 3 out of four tires if one had 90+% tread left.... does sound a little cheap on there end though.... tires are one of the most important aspects of our cars performance and ride qualitly....coming from a dealer you would expect them to completely take care of you and there name...

Old 11-02-2007, 03:47 PM

Ahhh you delt with dealer Englewood NJ I see by the photo.

When I purchase dmy '04 S4 from them they would only replace the one tire that was in question. Coming from DSMs you would never replace only one tire but they assured me that there was no problem.

As for your clutch question, I have the same problem. I've been driving manuals for 25 years including BMWs, Volvos and others and after 3 months with this carI STILL end up taking off from a stop light now and then like some 16 year old kid - over revving the motor waiting for the clutch to release.

I'll be interested in the clutch adjustment too!

How's that gas mileage working for you??? It's a little scary if look at MPG on the display

Old 11-03-2007, 07:28 AM

The clutch travel to my knowledge is non-adjustable on these cars. My bently manual has no procedure for adjusting the clutch pedal travel. My B6 A4 is similar. The pedal catches high in the travel. I just got used to it over time.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

Yes, I got the S4 from Town Motors in Englewood. I live out in Hunterdon County NJ but it was the closest Moro Blue Pearl Effect on Ebony that I could find. It seems all the ones closer to me were red or yellow and i'm not really a red or yellow guy.

Anyway, I took the S4 to my local Audi dealer, Flemington Audi, and I told them I bought it private party and had some concerns with the clutch. One of their shop techs took it out for a ride and said the clutch operated normally which coincides with your feedback. I guess I just got to get used lightly touching the clutch with my toe versus stomping it down to the clutch stop.

As for the tires, I'm not impressed with these OE Continetal tires anyway, I'll just replace them.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:46 AM
SoCal Crew Member

dunlop! (tirerack.com)

Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 PM
1st Gear

I've got a 2004 S4 and my clutch blew up while at the dealer at 49,xxx miles. They said at the time this model ('04) has this type of problem.

As far as the three tire replacement, problems will not occur in your driveline until way past the dealers memory of only replacingthree tires. My advise to you is to find some documentation on changing tires for all-wheel drive cars and make them fit the bill.

My S4 is yella so watch it. kidding. Good luck.