S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Need some help B5 S4!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Need some help B5 S4!

Hey guys im 17 and i currently have a 2.8 im thinking about selling the 2.8 and getting an S4. Honestly would you guys recommend it? I was researching in the S4 FAQ thread and it seems like alot of things go wrong? Anyone have a complete nightmare with there B5 or should i go through and get one? Also im not too car savy so how can i go about making sure this S4 is in good shape? Thank you so much guys!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Need some help B5 S4!

Of course i reccomend it, i own one. The B5 s4 is the best most rewarding car iv ever owned and if ANYTHING ever happened to mine and i needed a new car I would buy a second one. However for most people in highschool, college, or with a limited income to spend on their autos its not the best choice. Especially Higher mileage cars will require a substantial maintanace budget and if your turbos blow you have to be ready to spend several thousand more on very short notice.

Having said that, i got my S4 when i was 16 with 53,000 miles. now 3 years and 7000 miles later i have allready spent nearly $1000 on rotors & pads, $2000 on winter wheels and tires, and new summer tires, and
another $5000+ in timing belt, clutch, flywheel, and various minor maintance and upgrades. Insurance is absurd, companies quote me $5-6k per year and i have no claims and only 2 traffic violations.

Its a big gamble, drive a few and hopefully youll be able to tell which ones arent feeling good. Also make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection and check carfax. Some problems are minor but common like the TBB, others are major and inevitable like turbo failure. 2.8 is known for being relyable, the 2.7 twin turbo, especially when chipped is not.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

ahhh man good choice i got my s4 when i was 17 as well after having my 2.8 a4 for 2 years

i think you will be fine

just find one thats in good shape and it should be ok!

if things go wrong...which they will, we can always help!

Old 06-24-2008, 06:56 PM
2nd Gear

They are fun cars man, HP_addict pretty much outlined it all for you, now you'll have to start test driving

Just to give you an idea, I had a B5, wrecked it, and just bought another a few weeks ago that's how much I like this car, its a BLAST to drive.

Insurance was kind of $hitty for me a few years ago, but it's gotten substantially better. Now it runs me about $230 every 6 months for collision/comprehensive/liability all that *****.

Try and get insurance with USAA, they rock. Not only are their prices good, but they do take good care of you if you need to make a claim.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear

yeah, i second usaa, I have all my cars and my house threw them, love there biz. My s4 has problems well what s4 doesnt, but for a 8 years old car run and drive like new cause i take car of it. Heck I love it so much I jsut gave here true duel thrre inch back from the turbos, love the turbo wine now.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:14 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: HP Addict

Of course i reccomend it, i own one. The B5 s4 is the best most rewarding car iv ever owned and if ANYTHING ever happened to mine and i needed a new car I would buy a second one. However for most people in highschool, college, or with a limited income to spend on their autos its not the best choice. Especially Higher mileage cars will require a substantial maintanace budget and if your turbos blow you have to be ready to spend several thousand more on very short notice.

Having said that, i got my S4 when i was 16 with 53,000 miles. now 3 years and 7000 miles later i have allready spent nearly $1000 on rotors & pads, $2000 on winter wheels and tires, and new summer tires, and
another $5000+ in timing belt, clutch, flywheel, and various minor maintance and upgrades. Insurance is absurd, companies quote me $5-6k per year and i have no claims and only 2 traffic violations.

Its a big gamble, drive a few and hopefully youll be able to tell which ones arent feeling good. Also make sure to get a pre-purchase inspection and check carfax. Some problems are minor but common like the TBB, others are major and inevitable like turbo failure. 2.8 is known for being relyable, the 2.7 twin turbo, especially when chipped is not.
$5-6k a year for insurance???? I was quoted $3000 a year will full coverage and a $500 deductible for a 2002 and I'm 19, now the b6 was a different story but I changed my deductibles and coverage so its only $3200 a year, but that still with above average coverage. But yes we do get bent over for insurance... [:'(][:@]

Old 06-25-2008, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

Does it make me odd that I didn't get mine until I was 28? I don't know what I would have done with a car like this when I was 16-19. I'm sure I would have pulled a lot more tang but I would also most likely be dead. It's a give and take life.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:56 PM
2nd Gear

got mine at 25 had a great honda before that.

Old 06-26-2008, 12:40 AM
1st Gear

I just got mine at 38. I just traded in my A8 for it. Although I just got mine - so I am a noob - I have owned several Audis. They are expensive to maintain, and repair. An S4 is a high performance auto that will demand you drive hard. This means you will break things, and will need to come up with the $$ to fix it. If you have the money - go for it, otherwise stick with a more conventional Audi and get the S4 or S6 or even the S8 when you are done with school.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:57 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Andy Cap

I just got mine at 38. I just traded in my A8 for it. Although I just got mine - so I am a noob - I have owned several Audis. They are expensive to maintain, and repair. An S4 is a high performance auto that will demand you drive hard. This means you will break things, and will need to come up with the $$ to fix it. If you have the money - go for it, otherwise stick with a more conventional Audi and get the S4 or S6 or even the S8 when you are done with school.
I figured once I graduate I'd trade it in for a new one, or maybe import an 08RS6??

I'm glad it wasnt my first car and that I was able to buyit myself.