S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

my "first" mod...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 AM
1st Gear
Default my "first" mod...

I finally got a little time this weeked for the S and decided to change my air filter (I was also planning to change my spark plugs to the Iridiums, but soon realizedit was not as easy as I imagined and I would need more time[&o]). So I pressed on with the filter, but while I was in there I thought to myself: "Self? This is kinda a PITA, so itwould probably be a good idea to do the DARINTAKE while you're here..." So I did. Overall it took about 2 hours (mostly because I obsses too much ).As you can see, I went for the cut out option as I didn't really see the purpose of the perforated version (seeing as the opening is covered with wire mesh/screen anyways); might as well allow as much cooler air flow as possible. I used painted black wire mesh, self-taping screws, and indoor/outdoor silicone to "seal the deal" (I know, I know: I should've used like a Permatex Blue/Clear RTV, but I forgot it at home!).

Sound wise: I can definitely hear the engine a little more under hard acceleration (especially near a wall or barrier). Performance wise: not sure on that yet, but there might be a slight slight increase in response - the jury is still out. I'm sure it'll help more later on with a chip when air demands are higher. I might do an S-Flow at that time also, but the stock filter (MANN) should be just fine until then (vs. a K&N as Don Pavlik suggested in his write-up on AW http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html).

Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: my "first" mod...

Pics don't work, it says "page not found" I tried to fix them.

Don't expect to much from the intake, but it really does help, yes, better throttle responce, & up top in the RPM's.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

Thanks 2K... Yeah I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I know it was working yesterday at one point

Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

BTW: I forgot to mention it, but are you guys (&gals) aware that Wikipedia has the DARINTAKE defined on their website??? I thought that was pretty crazy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darintake

Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC

BTW: I forgot to mention it, but are you guys (&gals) aware that Wikipedia has the DARINTAKE defined on their website??? I thought that was pretty crazy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darintake

thats funny....