S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

must be my lucky day... IM CHIPPED!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:56 AM
1st Gear
Default must be my lucky day... IM CHIPPED!!!!

Well, i actually like to search (unlike most noobs) and i stumbled across alot of people buying used audis and finding out they are already chipped! So i did some research and found out that there is a shop about 20 mins. outside pittsburgh that is APR cert. Went to ARP's website and found out how to activate there programs (by the "set" button on the cruise control stock) . I was at a stop light and figured what the hell, held my set button and *WALLAH* im chipped!!! I have 4 programs but im not sure which is which... im in program 2 right now (i think) i can really tell a difference at about 2.5K on the tach. besides calling APR how can i tell which program is which!?!?!? I also need to make sure the DV's have been upgraded...

Old 07-25-2007, 12:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: must be my lucky day... IM CHIPPED!!!!

Ok, i called the local shop... they told me that it will be 35 bucks to reprogram my chip, i wont be able to add any programs but whatever is on there i can move to whichever slot i want. Now i know for the 1.8T, you should upgrade your DV, but the tech told me for an s4 that they recommend the stock ones or APR ones... is ANYBODY running an APR chip with their stock DVs????

Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: steelcitysfinest69

"...the tech told me for an s4 that they recommend the stock ones or APR ones... is ANYBODY running an APR chip with their stock DVs????
Umm, sounds like your APR-rep is just trying to sell you his. The sad part is, unless hehas personally inspected& tested your current DV's he is also giving you bad advice...

I would first determine if your car and/or stock DV's have relatively low miles (which youshouldinvestigate, because the previous owner might have also upgrade/replaced these too), and if not, consider an upgrade. The chip will obviously run more boost, which in turn puts more stress/strain on the DV's to perform. If they're old, they'll most likely leak under pressure or lag behind. Considering you "like to search", I would try that because this topic has been beaten to death (here and other forums) at nauseaum...

Good luck!

p.s. FYI, I'm not chipped yet but still upgraded mine in "preparation"...

Old 07-25-2007, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

YOu must upgrade within like 2500 miles the DV's will be toast very quickly.
Anything rebuildable or if u get the TT DV which is the 710n then you will be all set. Plenty of companies make them, bailys motorsport, forge, apr, just to name some.
Also check your "F-Hose" cause your a 2000 and just inspect the Throttle body boot for wear and tears. all of the above will total cost under $300 and easy to install and will save u down the road.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC

Umm, sounds like your APR-rep is just trying to sell you his. The sad part is, unless hehas personally inspected& tested your current DV's he is also giving you bad advice...

p.s. FYI, I'm not chipped yet but still upgraded mine in "preparation"...
1st thanks for the advice... 2nd i DO like to search... the reason i asked my question is that i have never seen anyone running stock DV's after being chipped. I know why (more boost, stock diaphram wont last, makes sense) but thanks for RE-informing me! Now i asked the tech " so since im chipped my DV's SHOULD have been replaced?? right???" he told me " well we usually recommend the stock ones for an S4, butwe do sell APR dvs and others if you choose to replace them" Doesnt sound to me like he is trying to sell me anything!!!3rd im going to check my dvs after work and if they are stock i AM going to replace them immediately, only because of what i havelearned from SEARCHING! thanks for the help TKNEEDSS4, i have been looking into the boot replacement and will talk to the shop about that next week.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

the APR rep was probably referring to the 710N as the stock diverter valve. reason being. 1- they are strong enough to hold stage 3 boost. and 2- they are a diaphram style valve like APR's new R1 valve. which is the most efficient and fastest dumping type valve there is.

but awesome that you found out you were chipped. i wish that i could have just been sitting one day and said, "huh, i wonder if im big turbo'd? what do you know, i am!!" that would be awesome

Old 07-27-2007, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

humm, ok well maybe... thanks for the info i was probley gonna go with the APR dv's like you mentioned, but i still havent checked to see if they are stock or not... im assuming they are cause i dont hear them much at all!!

Old 07-27-2007, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

It is actually quiter with the 710N's... Well atleast it did get quieter when I installed mine... Just look at your dv's... If they say 710A at the end of the longnumberthen you need to upgrade... If it says 710N at the end then you're fine... If you are wondering where they are... Just take off the cover closest to you and they will be sitting right there...

Old 07-28-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: steelcitysfinest69

1st thanks for the advice... 2nd i DO like to search... the reason i asked my question is that i have never seen anyone running stock DV's after being chipped. I know why (more boost, stock diaphram wont last, makes sense) but thanks for RE-informing me! Now i asked the tech " so since im chipped my DV's SHOULD have been replaced?? right???" he told me " well we usually recommend the stock ones for an S4, butwe do sell APR dvs and others if you choose to replace them" Doesnt sound to me like he is trying to sell me anything!!!3rd im going to check my dvs after work and if they are stock i AM going to replace them immediately, only because of what i havelearned from SEARCHING! thanks for the help TKNEEDSS4, i have been looking into the boot replacement and will talk to the shop about that next week.
Well, it sounds like you got itALL FIGURED OUTthen. FWIW, I was just TRYING TO HELP and you didn't NEED TO SPAZ!!! Unfortunately you were unclear in your first couple posts by saying: "they recommend the stock ones or APR ones..."This could meanyour current DV's or new 710A's, which AS I SAID, is notgood adviceand sounded like he was trying to sell you his. It's also obvious that you haven't STFA's cause this HAS been discussed here, and certainly on AW and s4biturbo.com.

Anyways, the 710Ndoes have a higher spring rate than the 710A, but it is still a rubber diaphragm-style DV. So even though it is more efficient and can probably hold Stage III boost,inherintly it has the same flaws and will not last as long (as a re-buildable version). The R1 is nice and may have solved this problem, although it's a little too big & expensive for my taste...

Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

aight ZQ8, thanks for the info!!! i KNOW that its been said here 5,000 times why and how.youSHOULD upgrade your DV's. I was just WONDERING if anyone could support this guys theory ( guess not).Your acting like i asked if i could strap a coupleof BOV's in there, LOL!!! anyway thankseveryone for the help (and ZQ8 for scolding me alike a child) i checked and they are the 710-A's so they will be out shortly... i was wondering why i heard more of a recirc-sound from my stock 1.8T!!!!
*next mods*
AWE vent guage
APR R1 DVs
and im gonna start researching intakes

I will be posting pics tonight (hopefully)