S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Must Decide: Best Option for iPod in S4

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:24 AM
abe
1st Gear
Default Must Decide: Best Option for iPod in S4

I have a dealer willing to swap out the CD Changer for the iPod interface in a 2008 S4 (for free). The question is, should I? From what I've read the interface with the Nav Plus is quite poor. If I keep the CD Changer, I can add the Denison unit myself. Is the Denison unit better than the Audi interface? What are the pros and cons? Is there another aftermarket iPod interface better than the Denison model?

I don't use CDs anymore, except to rip songs to my iPod.

I tried to find out if a simple aux imput could be added but I have not found any information on that. At least with an aux I wouldn't have to use an FM transmitter.

What are my options? I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

i say have them swap it out if its for free anyway. you dont use the cd changer regardless. if you cant live with the interface, then go aftermarket. the s4 guys would know more about that.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:23 AM
abe
1st Gear

That's a good point. Pretty logical.

I'm still interested to see what the S4 folks think, if there is some sort of advantage or disadvantage to keeping the CD changer and going aftermarket or adding the Audi interface.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM
1st Gear

I had an aftermarket one put in, not sure what kind, they put in a little switch and i have the cord for it coming out behind the e-brake, i like it better since i can change stuff without having to open my glove compartment and pulling the whole ipod out and stuff

Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 PM

While tempting, having a new dash unit wouldnt work for me. I'm trying to keep my interior looking stock. ...

HOWEVER, I too have been looking for an ipod hookup. If you look around, there's one that hooks up in the back, just a plug, and you can run the cord under the carpet to the center console. I dont remember what it was called, but it was fairly cheap (~150-200$) compared to alternatives.

Now thinking about it, it might have been Denison, but thats really expensive. I looked into it a bit ago, but I seem to have lost the info. I just remember that it plugged into the back of your stereo.

Sorry that this isnt more help than it should be.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM
abe
1st Gear

Question for the folks with Audi's iPod interface: how long is the cable in the glovebox that connects to your iPod? I'm asking to find out whether or not I can reach over, grab the unit and pull it out while it is connected and manipulate the controls, etc. Do I have an extra foot of cable?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...oductID=251288

You could add that to your current deck I believe. I know you can just add an AUX jack and have it run through the glove box, theres even some precut holes there to allow cables to run through. Personally I'd go with the AUX since you can hook anything with a headphone jack up to it. I'm currently using the trustworthy $20 tape adaptor.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:11 PM
abe
1st Gear

Hey, thanks for that link, Woodhead.

Boulder, huh? There's a nice S6 and S8 for sale at Go Motors. You should check them out.

I think I might go aftermarket and keep the 6 CD changer. At least I have the option then of putting a CD in the stereo AND using the iPod, just in case.

I guess that begs a question, would the Nav Plus with a CD changer still have a single CD in the dash? Does the Nav Plus with the iPod adapter have a CD slot in the dash?

Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM
1st Gear

If you change the head unit, normally you can't use the stock changer.. I don't know if that is what you meant by that or not.. My sister has a B6 S4 and she has the Eclipse in dash screen and it works really well. I have the New Alpine bad boy in dash full screen with the blackbird n shizzle I LOVE IT TO DEATH, I can change songs on the head unit screen instead of having to mess with the Ipod and etcetera. The Alpine also has bluetooth for you wireless junkies out there, me being one. Its a bad *** piece.. but if you're just talking about the wire.. I have no comment.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 AM
abe
1st Gear

Actually, I was referring to the iPod interface, meaning I'd go with an aftermarket iPod interface. I figure I might get a little more length on the cable so I can muck with the iPod while I'm driving, if needed.

Depends on the options on the car. We'll see!

Quick Reply: Must Decide: Best Option for iPod in S4